GFS Black Friday

How is that stuff so impossibly cheap? Is the quality a reflection of the price?

It's the worst kept secret on the internet. The pickups are good stuff at any price. Other parts vary.

SlartiBartfast said:
How is that stuff so impossibly cheap? Is the quality a reflection of the price?

It's not so much that their stuff is so impossibly cheap as it is that the traditional suppliers are surprisingly expensive. Given the right machinery, winding coils is puppy chow, has been forever, and there's not much else to a pickup. Yeah, you need a magnet of some sort, and maybe some pole pieces. But, some suppliers would have you believe that they're giving the life blood of their children to supply you with Just The Right Thing, but it's mostly bullshit.

The guys who do it in their basement are in it more as a labor of love - they're making less than minimum wage at it, even if they charge a pile. The majors and boutique suppliers are just taking advantage of the unslaked thirst developed by those in search of the holy grail.

Crap, and I just bought a set of Tru-coil pickups a week ago, along with a wilkinson trem.  :doh:

I bought a Wilkinson short Tele bridge from them and it's a great piece of hardware. (see Mary Black Tele in the Work In Progress section.........)

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like GFS might get some of my time and $$$ today.

Back