Getting Tiny Scratches Out Of The Gloss Finish

jtroska

Ugh... This is why I hate gloss finishes and wish Warmoth offered Satin.  :doh:

I haven't even put my guitar together and the clear coat has all these tiny hairline scratches.  Gloss has a way of bringing out all the flaws and finger smudges.  Satin is somehow more forgiving.

How do you keep these finishes looking good?  There are "scratch out" products for automobiles.  Do you think something like that would work on an instrument?  Any tips for smoothing out teeny blemishes like these?

The colors are absolutely beautiful but the finish seems too soft.  Had I known, I may have opted for unfinished parts and sent them to Wlikins Guitar Finishes for the paint.  That guy's work is indestructible.  Oh well, it still looks gorgeous if you don't look too close.  I'm, admitably, a little anal-retentive.  :toothy11:

I've learned that nicks add character.  That said, meguire's x should work.  Don't use it too oftern, because it works by scratching off the upper layer of paint.

Like dried beans and rice, Stewart MacDonald Swirl Remover is a staple at my house.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html

Used gently, with a clean cloth, it will remove all those scratches.

However, do not, EVER, for any reason, make the mistake of buying their Preservation Polish. It's garbage, and will gum up and and quite possibly destroy your finish. I speak from experience. It is evil crap, and they should be ashamed for selling it. For making your guitar shine, stick with Virtuoso polish and cleaner.

"Ugh... This is why I hate gloss finishes and wish Warmoth offered Satin."

FYI - Warmoth does offer Satin.

RLW said:
Like dried beans and rice, Stewart MacDonald Swirl Remover is a staple at my house.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html

Used gently, with a clean cloth, it will remove all those scratches.

Cool.  Thanks.  I'm going to try some of that with my next StewMac order.  Just knowing I *can* fix it makes the problem less frustrating.

ibob74 said:
FYI - Warmoth does offer Satin.

Yeah, but only on the Clear color.  And at one time they used to do a satin black.  I had asked about that.  I don't know why they can't do other colors in Satin.  I *think* satin/gloss is determined by the final clear coat.  So if they have a satin clear coat for their "clear" finish, why can't they spray that same satin over another color?  Well, I should probably shut up because I'm sure I'm just revealing my ignorance!  :)

On a tangent, I like to put old bath towels over my work space and change them and wash them often. If you're sanding, soldering, grinding and doing final assembly all on the same surface, you're asking for scratches. A vacuum just can't seem to lift all the errant little grits out of a carpeted workbench.

People who can't play and don't want to practice still wish they were greasy old bluesmen, seasoned road warriors, etc. - "See that chip? That's where I broke a newbie's skull!"

I like to scratch my own guitars (and use the Eye-talic button...)  :hello2:

Ugh, why would people do that and pay for it, I like to f@$% up my guitars on my own. I'm not going to pay someone to chip the paint, and use it as a ash tray.

Agreed.  Paying someone to age your guitar is silly.  But that's just me.  If it floats your boat that's OK.  Not for me though.  Believe me, they age fast enough.

I'd go as far as to say if it floats your boat you're an idiot.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you want the "cred" of having a vintage guitar, go to a god damn pawn shop and buy a beater and fix it up.

Spending money to have someone damage your new guitar so it looks old is like cutting your own face to get scars and make yourself look tougher.

Perhaps appropriate in the W forum....

I use Turtle Wax white comound (safe for lacquer and poly).  It buffs out to a haze free gloss.  And, you can do some 600 grit (wet/dry paper, use it wet... soapy water works ok) over things if you need to, then just use the compound to buff out the scratches left by the 600g.  No need for the 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 .... that my brothers, is for the floppin' birds~

old secret, use wd40 and mix with pumice stone, like rotten stone but finer...he bright white stuff...and use micro fiber and buff on buff off

and it makes ur shit super awesome to play and doesnt really stri any finish, it just buffs the surface hella!

Back