Getting the Clapton tone, advice please

Dazkeirle

Hi all,

currently on my Warmoth Strat I run a set of SD SSL-1 Vintage stagger poles but the sound is very similar to my US Strat and am looking to try and recreate the Clapton tone.

I read that EC used "Gold Lace Sensor pick-ups and an updated MDX circuit that had been tweaked up to 25dB boost in the midrange at around 500 Hz."

So what I'm thinking of doing is replacing neck and mid with some Gold and then maybe putting a SD hot rails in at the bridge for when I want to rock out. I'm hoping this will give me a bit of a two sided guitar keeping that cool single coil strat look.

I'm after advice of A. how I'd go about installing an updated MDX circuit to boost mid's and B. if that would cause any issues in the hot rails humbucker at the bridge or if it could be wired to just effect the neck / mid (which to be honest is where all my Clapton is played)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a real pick-ups n00b.

p.s. I'm not adverse to changing my opinion on the hot rails if you guys think they suck, I've not had any real life exposure just some reviews. I could be persuaded to go for some Lace Sensor-Burgundy of something else more Bridge specific if you think that would suit better.

I have a Fender Clapton Strat with the Gold Lace Sensors. Trust me, you don't need to go humbucking if you get those pups and that circuit going. This guitar has a lot of balls.
MULLY

Awesome to hear.

Regarding the circuit, are these commercially available as a retro fit? Will it play nice with my push pull pot (with 1-0-1 and 1-1-1 additional pick-up configurations?)

Thanks buddy.

+1 with MULLY. I have the same EC Strat. Not sure if that circuit is available or not. But, the other thing the EC has is a big wooden block in the tremolo unit.

Clapton is associated with strats, but he's gotten his tones from a huge number of different guitars including plenty of Gibsons through the years. The mid-boosted strat was supposed to be a way to mimic a humbucker sound while still playing a strat. GFS sells active electronics including a clapton mid-boost kit if you don't want to shell out for a nice SG and a JTM45 combo.

I would guess that some hotter, hum cancelling strat pickups like the Dimazio VV 54 pro would get you close enough without adding batteries and circuit boards to your guitar, those SSL-1 pickups are about as far away as you could get.

Another possibility is to just roll off your tone, get an EQ pedal and boost the mids and cut the highs, and follow that with a compressor cranked up and see how close that gets you.

Thanks for getting involved, it's clear you guys know the score...

It's definitely the Strat tone I'm after. After seeing him in the flesh in MEN UK playing the Strat with the Lace's I got the bug.

I'm not too worried about adding more electrics to the guitar, I've already got the custom pot in there and don't mind too much about doing a bit more routing. I would just like the boost which the SSL's are lacking.

those SSL-1 pick-ups are about as far away as you could get.

Indeed they are, They came with the body and to be fair are actually a nice sound, Only I have some Texas Hots in my US Strat and the sound is very similar.

By my way of thinking, if you are trying to recreate someone's particular tone, and you know exactly what they are using (aka the Lace Golds and that special tone circuit), then you should just copy their setup. Its not like you are trying to match Clapton's array of vintage guitars, you're just looking for some new pickups. Go for it!

When you say "Clapton Tone", I'm assuming you mean Cream-era Clapton, because that's the only time he had tone.

Like tfarny said - LP/SG+JTM45

Which Clapton tone might be the question.... its varied quite a lot over the decades.

Currently, he pretty much nails the mid boost and gets even extra mids by playing thru tweed Twin replicas. 

If you are after his current tone you have the need for tweed!!  His tone is just as much in the amps he uses. 

Tonar8353 said:
If you are after his current tone you have the need for tweed!!  His tone is just as much in the amps he uses. 

And even moreso in his effects units and even more than that....in his fingers. Face it, we'll never be able to achieve those tones. Only thing we can do is get similar equipment and do our best.
MULLY

Maybe its me, but when I think "Clapton tone" I think the Beano years, not the Strat years.
Am I showing my age? lol

Superlizard said:
When you say "Clapton Tone", I'm assuming you mean Cream-era Clapton, because that's the only time he had tone.

+1

Superlizard said:

To elaborate on settings
treble,mid,bass=10 distorsion=10 neck pup w/tone rolled down

Back