G'day Folks...How have you been?

vtpcnk said:
is that '335' an epi sheraton? mij?

No it's an epiphone sheraton made in Korea  (Samick factory 2002)  that I bought in Huddersfield. The pickguard was made in Columbus Ohio by the same guy that made the gold guard for the bass.
Incidently, that broken glass effect is something that just happened naturally over the five years it was on the Fender body. It's clear plexiglass painted gold on the back and looking at the back the paint is still immaculate but the front shows heaps of little cracks and crazes (very hard to photograph but I'll get it).
I have the same sort of guard on my "Rusty" strat so I'm hoping the same thing happens to that as well.

That rustic natural finish P is a killer, congrats... thought i'd talked myself out of a bass but now i dont know.

Willy! Welcome back buddy! We've missed ya  :hello2:

And I'm digging the "barn door chic" thing you've got there.

looks fantastic Willy, but Ol' Rusty is still one of my favorite finishes on the forum!! I look at it on a regular basis to find out how you did it, and every time it still says " I fart-arsed around with tints and clear coats, steel wool and wax "  great instructions!!! : :icon_biggrin:

How did I miss this??

Welcome back Willy.  I cant believe you came to the UK and didnt look me up, I could've bought you another beer  :eek:ccasion14:

Good to see you back in the fold though mate  :icon_thumright:

All the best

Marko said:
looks fantastic Willy, but Ol' Rusty is still one of my favorite finishes on the forum!! I look at it on a regular basis to find out how you did it, and every time it still says " I fart-arsed around with tints and clear coats, steel wool and wax "  great instructions!!! : :icon_biggrin:

Now why would the builder of the year 2009 need instructions from little ol' me.  :icon_jokercolor: I wish I could do a finish like your killer VIP  :sad:
Best you come over here and bring a bit of swamp ash with you Marko. We're fixing up the downstairs apartment as a holiday home for overseas visitors so I could throw in a free "barndoor" finish while you laze around in my pool.  :icon_biggrin:

Hey jimh, how ya goin'? We didn't get to London last trip, except for the airport. We went straight through to Venice and drove around northern Italy for a couple of weeks before flying to Edinburgh and doing the same thing on the opposite side of the road.  :eek:
The epiphone was waiting in Northumberland for me, I bought it the same way I did with the Gretsch last time, a friend took delivery and babysat it for me till we arrived.
How's Ted by the way? say G'day if you see him.  :icon_thumright:

willyk said:
Marko said:

Now why would the builder of the year 2009 need instructions from little ol' me.  :icon_jokercolor: I wish I could do a finish like your killer VIP  :sad:
Best you come over here and bring a bit of swamp ash with you Marko. We're fixing up the downstairs apartment as a holiday home for overseas visitors so I could throw in a free "barndoor" finish while you laze around in my pool.  :icon_biggrin:

haha, good Idea Willy! I wish I could actually do that! :)
and yes, Warmoth did a great job on the VIP finish :)

G'day yerself, Willyk!  Perhaps you'll expound on the virtues of that 4-stringer when you have the time  :glasses10:

SlingBass said:
G'day yerself, Willyk!  Perhaps you'll expound on the virtues of that 4-stringer when you have the time   :glasses10:

That 4-stringer started life as a Fender Japan 57 re-issue in 1993. I bought it in Sydney 5 or 6 years ago in its original condition. It was candy apple red and had a white single ply pickguard. I really fell for the neck, it's quite a lot slimmer to play than American necks and the headstock is a good 1/4 inch thinner than my Warmoths. I liked the idea of a one-piece maple neck because although I have a number of Fender guitars that have them I didn't have a bass like that.
I changed the pickguard for the gold one  fairly early in the piece purely for appearance sake and added the finger brace, and a set of ashtrays for a while. I was never completely happy with the bass as it was. The thing was beautifully light but the body was basswood under all that paint and didn't allow the neck to perform as I envisaged.
It ended up not getting played much and ended up "under the house."
I always thought about how the neck would go on a decent body but, as you know, I have a few other toys to play with so I didn't do anything about it for ages.
Last year was pretty hectic for us. I did a lot more gigging than previous years and we went to Europe again. I was looking for a little project to do over the holiday break and logged on to discover the showcase was on sale. There were a few lefty Pbass bodies going cheap so I ended my hiatus by getting one. The idea was to simply transplant everything from the red body to the new one but of course I couldn't stop there. It now sports a SD SP2 pickup under a $5 set of cream covers ( "relic"ed in 10mins with sandpaper, steel wool and brown wax.) new CTS reverse taper pots and jack and some oversize strap buttons. Voila..Barndoor 2  :icon_thumright:

willyk said:
Voila..Barndoor 2  :icon_thumright:

And a lovely lass she is!  Glad to hear they're keeping you busy, outta trouble, and a "humming and a strumming all over God's world"  :guitaristgif:

Back