GAS Alert!!!!

If you've been itching for a quilt top there are some spectacular pieces in the Showcase at the moment:

That first one was very tempting:
LT3385a.jpg

LT3378a.jpg

LT3377a.jpg

You may be asking what I'm waiting for... Well, I already got this one this morning :p :
LT3379a.jpg

Looks like great minds think alike, because I know that at least another one is gone.  :icon_thumright:

rlefty said:
Sorry if this is obvious, but how are you finding the full res pics of those tops?

It's anything but obvious:
- Right click on one of the laminate top choices, and either copy the address or open the image in a different tab.
  The URL will look something like this: "https://www.warmoth.com/select/images/thumbs/LT3243a.jpg"
  which is this:

LT3243a.jpg

- Just replace 'thumbs' by 'large', and you get this:
LT3243a.jpg

docteurseb said:
It's anything but obvious:
- Right click on one of the laminate top choices, and either copy the address or open the image in a different tab.
  The URL will look something like this: "https://www.warmoth.com/select/images/thumbs/LT3243a.jpg"
  which is this:

LT3243a.jpg

- Just replace 'thumbs' by 'large', and you get this:
LT3243a.jpg

Thank you!!  I've never given the "unique choice" section a chance because the pics posted were alwasy so small you couldn't see any detail.

You can also see them by going to any body info page and scrolling down to the unique choice  section. You can then select a wood type and click on the thumbnail for the large image. You can then scroll through all the available options.

For example:

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Body/Stratocaster/Standard/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 11-30-20 at 08.09 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 11-30-20 at 08.09 AM.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
Solid ash top over hollow ash tele. Might not look like much but ... it's exactly what the doctor ordered for about $50 off. I could reroute for a lefty bridge.

T7404A.jpg

I'll have to ponder finish for it though.  Something easy. This really isn't on the radar for Christmas, but ... I wonder about black dye / black wipe.

Man the showcase is getting thin - must be stimulus checks...

There appear to my casual searching to be about:
26 Strats
41 Teles
1 Thinline
5 Soloists
1 VIP
2 Nomads
A smattering of the weird Fenders that baffle me as to why they're popular
And 0 Regals,Diamondbacks,Velocities

But I did see this angry fellow (why is the face always where the bridge goes?)
PS15203A.jpg

swarfrat said:
Man the showcase is getting thin - must be stimulus checks...

Wouldn't surprise me. What did surprise me was how fast my "stimulus" payment showed up.
swarfrat said:
But I did see this angry fellow (why is the face always where the bridge goes?)
I wondered that for a long time, too. Then an artist explained it to me.

Human faces are essentially symmetrical. So, when you bookmatch resawn wood, which is what most figured tops are, you get close to an inverted mirror image from one side to the other, which is symmetrical enough to resemble a face, bug, explosion, etc.

Besides, it's fairly rare you'd want to have heavy figuring favoring an off-center position. Unfortunately, most guitars have the bulk of their necessary guts/hardware close to or in the center of the body.

Not a showcase item, in fact the link I found shows them out of stock. But still GAS inducing none the less, and I don't even know what I could put them on. But this has me wanting:

41fgyKgLQEL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Cagey said:

Human faces are essentially symmetrical.
Well with respect, the human face isn't perfectly symmetrical. Facial bilateral symmetry is typically defined as fluctuating asymmetry of the face comparing random differences in facial features of the two sides of the face. The human face also has systematic, directional asymmetry: on average, the face (mouth, nose and eyes) sits systematically to the left with respect to the axis through the ears... :toothy12:

DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Well with respect, the human face isn't perfectly symmetrical. Facial bilateral symmetry is typically defined as fluctuating asymmetry of the face comparing random differences in facial features of the two sides of the face. The human face also has systematic, directional asymmetry: on average, the face (mouth, nose and eyes) sits systematically to the left with respect to the axis through the ears... :toothy12:
Right. That's why I said "essentially" instead of "perfectly".

Is it essentially perfect or perfectly essential?  :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

Cagey said:
DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Right. That's why I said "essentially" instead of "perfectly".
:icon_thumright:...But it is inherent in the human psyche to look for symmetry in the world...

I get the symmetry bit of bookmatching. What I was bemoaning is that they always seem to be obliterated by the bridge/pickup, and never down below or in the space between the pickups.

swarfrat said:
I get the symmetry bit of bookmatching. What I was bemoaning is that they always seem to be obliterated by the bridge/pickup, and never down below or in the space between the pickups.
Exactly, it's like they just try to ruin a nice bookmatch by putting the alien or monster face in the wrong spot....... :toothy12:

Back