Funky stuff with Mini HBs

Graffiti62

I am planning on putting a mini humbucker in the neck position of a tele project I'm doing. In order to attain more versatility, I'd like to be able to wire it up with a coil tap switch and a series/parallel switch. That requires that the pickup has four wires. Can anyone who ever tinkered with these pickups tell me what models from whom have enough wires to do the funky stuff?  Also, if you have done the series/parallel and coil tap on the minis, what kind of sounds have you gotten?

Thanks much!

Also, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio side by side mini humbuckers have 4 wire connectivity.  Don't get a stacked one, otherwise one coil will be essentially unusable.  The Seymour Vintage Rails also is not splittable.

The babybuckers look badass!  I think I'm sold on them, especially the zebra coil model that they have.

I have a SD cool rails and a SD vintage rails in my MIM strat.  I split the cool rails series/parallel/split.  It doesn't sound as beefy as a full sized humbucker, but the 3 splitting options are all very unique, usable and sound pretty damn good. 

If you're looking to split, you cant' do it with the vintage rails, or also SD duckbucker I believe.  They're both humbuckers, and the vintage rails sounds great for a mini strat like single coil humbucker, but it's not meant to be split.  I actually wired it wrong at first(it was one of my early attemtps), and split it.  Well, it turns out when you do that you actually turn off one half of the pickup.  So I would only be able to hear the G, B and high E strings.  It was kind of a cool effect, but I learned quickly not to wire it that way.

erik

taez555 said:
I have a SD cool rails and a SD vintage rails in my MIM strat.   I split the cool rails series/parallel/split.  It doesn't sound as beefy as a full sized humbucker, but the 3 splitting options are all very unique, usable and sound pretty damn good. 

If you're looking to split, you cant' do it with the vintage rails, or also SD duckbucker I believe.  They're both humbuckers, and the vintage rails sounds great for a mini strat like single coil humbucker, but it's not meant to be split.  I actually wired it wrong at first(it was one of my early attemtps), and split it.   Well, it turns out when you do that you actually turn off one half of the pickup.  So I would only be able to hear the G, B and high E strings.  It was kind of a cool effect, but I learned quickly not to wire it that way.

erik

I'm setting up my new Warmoth Strat like you are.  However, if you want a beefy sound, add in a hot rails.  Just listen to Iron Maiden; Dave Murray uses the hot rails in his strats.  I've got a hot rails in the bridge slot, vintage in the middle, and cool at the neck.

lets not confuse the subject, the question was about the smaller (p-90) sized humbuckers in a firebird which are known as mini humbuckers. not the fender single coil sized ones which are  usually called rails or stacked pickups.

DiMitriR33 said:
lets not confuse the subject, the question was about the smaller (p-90) sized humbuckers in a firebird which are known as mini humbuckers. not the fender single coil sized ones which are  usually called rails or stacked pickups.
  Glad you clarified that.  I misunderstood.

Back