"From Scratch" Airliner

samuelgin

Ok, just some things to know...
-This guitar is from scratch, but I got the wood/hardware from warmoth
-I'm 15, but I'm one of those people who likes to make everything
-I know there was alot i messed up on, like gluing the fretboard/inlay/finishing, but as you should know, i'm 15
-It is shaped after the Montgomery Airliner guitar (neck is a copy of warmoth's design)
-It is based to sound like a tele, with a humbucker
It is a mahogany warmoth body blank and an angled maple warmoth neck blank
Earvana compensating nut, PW locking tuners, Tele HB bridge
The pickups are a golden age vintage humbucker, and a wilkinson telecaster neck
The pickups/electronics i got from stewart macdonald
The 3 way is set at 1.Humbucker in series 2.HB Single Coil 3.Tele Neck
IMG_2696.jpg

other stuff for those who want to know...
the scale is 25-1/2", nut width 1-5/8" and neck pocket is 3" x 2-1/4"
the neck is very close to unshaped, other necks seem like a toy guitar after playing it

So yeah, tell me what you think
(the whole project only costs $500)

great job!!! I and a few others here have cut out our own. You'll get the odd parts sorted out. :hello2: :hello2:

Brian

Welcome to the forum!

Great job you did there - many of us here much older than you, wouldn't dream of building a guitar from scratch and parts. So a big thumbs up for the effort and result.  :icon_thumright:

I bet this guitar will be with you forever, and you'll gradually change things out as you feel there's 'this' or 'that' needing changing. Should you move onto more mainstream and expensive instruments this guitar will be your trusty backup, for sure.

I say if your first from scratch instrument is playable and sounds good, you did a fine job.  Here's to a long line of signature samuelgins  :eek:ccasion14:

Not bad.  Kinda reminds me of a Danelectro without the modern furniture vibe.  :icon_thumright:

Awesome! Congratulations!!!
The best advice I can give you:

1) don't get down by the mistakes and let it make you skip, write then and figure out how to make then better next time!
2) All guitar builders I know suggest "Melvin Hiscock: Make your own electric guitar" book and I suggest this too, this book is wonderfull!
3) keep on rock :D

Very cool, and if it plays good, feels good in your hands, and sounds good then don't "fret" over it. The mistakes are just part of the learning curve, and you'll figure out how to correct them..... :rock-on:

Back