Fretless guitar

10maxpower01

I have a fretless bass and was just curious if anyone here has one or has played one. Reason I ask is I have this Squire I never play and was thinking of replacing the hardware, then I had some crazytrain of thought and decided on defretting it.

Thoughts / opinions?

Cagey, I'm looking forward to your post.  :redflag: <== ( I don't know how to make that flag white )

Why not? 
This guy plays one. He is pretty famous here in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63GD-OPknbc&feature=related

I have enough trouble with fretted instruments; I can't imagine not even having that much help to find a note <grin>

I've "made" a couple the conventional way, i.e. "I hate you beater-guitar, and I'm going to TEAR YOU UP...." The unwound strings lose a lot somehow - 
:hello2: "I've just invented an out-of-tune electric banjo!" :hello2:

I think oud and sarod players and the serious fretless guitarists play with their fingernails, tilted up on their left hand. Ouch. I still have an old ten-ton maple-bodied Aria Pro II that's maybe got some potential, but I'd like to figure out a five-string bridge for two reasons. One, you could use all wound strings, 20-32-42-52-66 or thereabouts? Also, I've been playing fretless bass for a long time, and having enough string spacing to get two fingertips side-by-side is a great help. There's actually whole societies and cults of these people out there, headquartered at unfretted.com. But I won't post clips, because it mostly sounds kinda awful. Go on, you listen to it and let us know:
http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=main

Go on, you listen to it and let us know
Hm. I kinda dig it.  :icon_smile: You could definitely get some cool middle eastern sounds pretty easy using their exotic scales and such.

10maxpower01 said:
I have a fretless bass and was just curious if anyone here has one or has played one. Reason I ask is I have this Squire I never play and was thinking of replacing the hardware, then I had some crazytrain of thought and decided on defretting it.

Thoughts / opinions?

Cagey, I'm looking forward to your post.  :redflag: <== ( I don't know how to make that flag white )

You mean a fretless neck-thru body guitar like the one I had made for me in this pic?  :toothy12:

fretlessguitar.jpg

<drools> Mmm that's a very tasty lookin' guitar you have there. Specs please?  :blob7:

What kind of music do you play with it? After looking at unfretted it seems like you could play anything from Nile  :headbang1: to recreating whale sounds.

Why put a whammy on a fretless guitar?  Other than that, pretty slick. If I ever get down the pile of project ideas I have far enough to get around to a fretless guitar, I'll probably pull a couple ideas I've seen here lately together and make it a slide only guitar with high action, and do a fretline that blends in like black on black.

i wanted to make one too, and i always wanted a vigier surfretter for ages

Guthrie Govan makes it sound worth doing...

[youtube=425,350]1PyOZhgQnvU[/youtube]

Seems like its a continuous slide without needing the additional hardware.  Wonder how it would work with some Allman Brother's tunes.

If you poke through the fretless site, one thing that comes up is that pretty much any auto glass shop has the capacity to cut, bend and polish weirdly-curved pieces of glass - so you don't have to throw 2300 - 2700 Euros for a Vigier, you can just take a thin neck you wouldn't mind being a quarter-inch thicker (remember -NO frets) to a glass shop.

It's an instrument that really cries out for some little kid to get a hold of it at the age of 7 or 8 and then munch the world.... most guitarists who want to make money playing music resort to frets, and the fretless stays at home. The hangover conservatism of the radio & big labels towards more more more "classic" rock comes in, but dinosaurs do go extinct. If you think of Bumblefoot & Guthrie & Vai, it's still gimmicky, but that's just structural - I would happily buy an album of great music played on a fretless. Umm, OK, where?  :icon_scratch: Hmmm.

A while back, I had saved up some dough for a Warr or Chapman Stick, and I was tapping my little brains out on a seven-string. Then I bought a pile of CD's by the "touch guitar" guys - and there's something about the people who "compose" on that instrument, they all sound alike. It seems pathologically impossible to avoid an alternating tippy-tappy rhythmic structure, it was just not very good music. Sixers Stanley Jordan & this guy are still my fave tappers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X833J0MLXgU

Point being, when some is brimming over with great compositions that require him to obsessively master a fretless guitar to play them correctly, we'll hear about it. Hasn't happened yet. And, it ain't me, babe.

Duane1Early1970s450.jpg

Whoa... hey....

swarfrat said:
Why put a whammy on a fretless guitar?  Other than that, pretty slick. If I ever get down the pile of project ideas I have far enough to get around to a fretless guitar, I'll probably pull a couple ideas I've seen here lately together and make it a slide only guitar with high action, and do a fretline that blends in like black on black.

This was originally a regular guitar which I had defreted, changed the fingerboard & changed to a fretless, hence the floyd. Having said that, a tremolo on a fretless gives you waaaaay cooler sounds & phrasing.

10maxpower01 said:
<drools> Mmm that's a very tasty lookin' guitar you have there. Specs please?  :blob7:

What kind of music do you play with it? After looking at unfretted it seems like you could play anything from Nile  :headbang1: to recreating whale sounds.

Gibson scale neck
Basswood body
Maple neck / ebony fingerboard 16" radius
Floyd & EMG PUs

I use flatwound 13s tuned down 1/2 a step. I find this sounds better for fretless.

I play lots of different styles, but the cool thing about fretless is that it turns that style into something new. For example, Playing blues on a fretless sounds like a slide. It's really wierd when you just get one, but it gets easier as time goes by.

i don't get why some of these guys don't just learn piano if they like using 2 hands to tap stuff. It would be easier and probably give you more options and a wider audience. If you think of Van Halen, the reason he started tapping was to make it sound like arpeggios on a keyboard. At least you can use it as a good "dick measure" trick when playing with guitarists who sound better but can't do all the technical stuff.

Gabe said:
i don't get why some of these guys don't just learn piano if they like using 2 hands to tap stuff. It would be easier and probably give you more options and a wider audience. If you think of Van Halen, the reason he started tapping was to make it sound like arpeggios on a keyboard. At least you can use it as a good "dick measure" trick when playing with guitarists who sound better but can't do all the technical stuff.

You can't compare guitar to piano. Totally different timbres & what if you're a guitar player who wants to play counterpoint with 2 hands on your chosen instruments. Just like with anything else, most people doing it will be medicore at best, but there will be a few who rise to the top ala TJ Helmrich & Carlos Vamos. Take a look at Carlos doing his 2 handed version of Little Wing & tell me it doesn't put a HUGE smile on your face.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwm-vxGgFf4[/youtube]

Back