Fret working tools

phred

Hi,
I'm considering getting some fret working tools to do some basic fret work, like leveling, radius and crowning. Not a full blown re fret. If you look at stew mac these tools cost a fortune. Any suggestions?

Scott

save some money?  :laughing7:
if it's nothing too serious you can take it to a good tech (just not guitar center or any of it's ilk, find a little mom and pop shop if you can) who has the tools and have them do it relatively cheap,
and you may be able to get it cheaper still if you're confident in doing it yourself, just ask if you can use his tools, i've done that before and i slipped him 5 bucks and got a set of strings and that's all it cost me.

however, if you buy the tools yourself you may save yourself double the money in the long run that you would spend driving to a tech if they're not conveniently in your area. just depends on how confident you are and what you think it's worth to have your guitar/bass play better.

best of luck.
H.

A carpenter's level, double stick tape, making tape, sandpaper (220-320ish), a Sharpie and a medium three corner file should be enough to get most jobs done.

If you were friendly with anyone in the machine shop trade....

A plain ol scrap piece of square (or rectangle ) steel stock.  Run that baby on the surface grinder and you're good to go.  That would be a two sixpack job!  You'll need an absolutely flat section about...22 inches long or so.

Get the FRETWORK book from StewMac... its a good one.

Most of my favorite files are not specifically guitar tools, they're ones I've collected over years of raiding the 99c bins at hardware stores, rummaging through the "tool" boxes at the Salvation Army etc. For guitar-specific stuff, I usually prefer LMII to Stew-Mac. Stew-Mac does have some nice things, and a few odd little tools you can't get anywhere else, but $11.33 for a 6" RULER?!?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/6_Steel_Rule.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=685

$25.43 for a set of feeler gauges?!?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles/Feeler_Gauges.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2074

You'll get more gauges at less than half the price at any auto parts store... here's a hint: jewelers, gunsmiths, auto repairmen, machinists and woodworkers all use exactly the same tools as guitar techs at different times, but they only pay fair market value for them. :icon_tongue: Some of Stew-Mac's tools make sense if you're in a high-production shop environment, but if you just work on one guitar at a time, they get kind of nutty. A lot of what you might need depends on what you already have - by the time I started doing frets and nuts, I probably already had at least a minimum set of everything, but I did find a few specialty files to be helpful. The first step is to buy Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" because only then can you evaluate the work in terms of what you already know.

stubhead said:
Most of my favorite files are not specifically guitar tools, they're ones I've collected over years of raiding the 99c bins at hardware stores, rummaging through the "tool" boxes at the Salvation Army etc. For guitar-specific stuff, I usually prefer LMII to Stew-Mac. Stew-Mac does have some nice things, and a few odd little tools you can't get anywhere else, but

You'll get more gauges at less than half the price at any auto parts store... here's a hint: jewelers, gunsmiths, auto repairmen, machinists and woodworkers all use exactly the same tools as guitar techs at different times, but they only pay fair market value for them. :icon_tongue: Some of Stew-Mac's tools make sense if you're in a high-production shop environment, but if you just work on one guitar at a time, they get kind of nutty. A lot of what you might need depends on what you already have - by the time I started doing frets and nuts, I probably already had at least a minimum set of everything, but I did find a few specialty files to be helpful. The first step is to buy Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" because only then can you evaluate the work in terms of what you already know.

+1 here.  I've been doing more and more fretwork.  The Erlewine books are good.  The fretwork DVD from StewMac is quite good as well.  Dan Erlewine does a good job of showing how to do a fret level/crown/polish without lots of fancy tools.  Just a reminder, get low tack tape to mask off your neck.  I just finished a baritone neck and used tape I had lying around the house....  I think I've spent more time cleaning the adhesive off the board than I spent on the whole level and polish process.... :doh:

I've been thinking the same thing about getting started doing my own fretwork (although I'd like to be able to do whole refret jobs, too -- I have at least one guitar that needs some jumbos installed).  Stew mac tools are certainly expensive, but what about their Essential Fretting Kit:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Essential_Fretting_Tool_Kit.html

This seems like maybe an OK deal considering everything that's included.  Have any noob fretters tried this kit?

The essential tool list looks good. I found sanding beams at Tower Hobbies for less than 10.00 with adhesive tape that is much cheaper than the Stew Mac stuff. I figure I need a radius block or two and that should do it for starters.

Scott

Back