Fret choice

Ted

Hi guys - I really like the frets on my current Gibson Les Paul pictured below? What would be the Warmoth equivalent in terms of frets choice?

Thanks
~Ted
CIMG2379.jpg

Typically we recommend 6130 for those wanting a low, wide fret. This is often associated with OEM LPs. Your picture looks like taller frets though.  :icon_scratch:

They look a lot like the frets on my G&L custom, which are 6100's according to G&L.  Warmoth 6100's are quite large though.  (I know that doesn't help so far.)  They could be 6100's that have been ground down and polished.  That's one alternative though it is labor intensive.

-Eric.

It looks like that neck may have been worked on, wood/binding seems to have been removed.  If so the frets may have also been replaced/re-crowned.

Regardless of prior work, I would use calipers to measure the frets.  If you needs calipers Harbor Freight has good calipers for less the $20.  You may also be able to get your frets measured at a local guitar shop.

allium_sativum said:
It looks like that neck may have been worked on, wood/binding seems to have been removed.  If so the frets may have also been replaced/re-crowned.

Regardless of prior work, I would use calipers to measure the frets.  If you needs calipers Harbor Freight has good calipers for less the $20.  You may also be able to get your frets measured at a local guitar shop.

Yes I had a fret dress done.

What about 6105 (.096" X .047" "Narrow and tall. A very popular choice." - as per the website)?

The 6130's are more like the "old" Gibson frets, and they dont use those any more, except for the few "fretless wonders" they hand make in the custom shop, and normally those are dressed (or perhaps Plek'd now) to about .027 tall.  Very low, and they suck for bending.  Even the standard 6130 is a bit of a hard one to bend on.

The new Gibson frets are not a size Warmoth has, but the 6150 comes closest.  The new Gibson fret is just a tad thinner, but about the same elevation - the ones I've measured run .100ish by about .046ish... so its real real close.

You've had a dressing, so your frets are just a little lower.  If the tallness bothers you, you can have them dressed down a little, although in your picture it seems that the frets had minimal off at the edges and more "flattening" in the center of the neck.

Back