Free-Way 10 Position Switch on Fender American Standard

joelorigo

Hi, first post!

I am looking to learn about and do some mods and upgrades to some of my guitars. I have spent a couple of years building pedals, starting as a complete noob, but modding guitars is new to me. I did however just finish my first ever pickup replacement and mod an a Squier strat. OK it was just adding one jumper to the switch so the lower tone knob would affect the bridge pickup but hey, it's a start.

I have a 93 Amercian Standard Strat that I would like to install the Free-Way 5 position 10 way switch. The guitar has the stock TBX tone system, which the lower tone knob works works on the bridge and middle pickups, unlike the traditional wiring. I am wondering if after installation, the Free-Way switch can be wired so all three pickups could be connected to a tone pot. It looks to me like the options Free-Way gives you are either neck and middle or neck and bridge. Would some jumper on the switch work?

Here is the switch:
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/free-way-5-way-10-position-pickup-switch.html

I have also attached Free-Way's wiring diagrams for sss 3 pot guitars.

Attachments

• 5B5-01 3 Pot (N & M Tones) Part 1.pdf
    876.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 5B5-01 3 Pot (N & B Tones) Part 1.pdf
    875.3 KB · Views: 72
Well, if you're looking for a one tone pot guitar check out this diagram.  I got it from Freeway.  If you write to them about what you're looking for, they'll write back about a week later and tell you if what you want to do is doable.

You gotta be pretty specific with them, but they'll help if they can.  Their address is on thier website.

Attachments

• 5B5-01 Scheme B025 (1) (1).pdf
    522.7 KB · Views: 132
Thank you for the reply. Wow, Free-Way sent you that based on what you wanted to do? That's impressive. I will email them.

Yep, that's what they sent me.  I wanted to do other things, but this was the closest they could come.  Like I said, they'll help if they can.

There are also wiring diagrams on the Freeway site "5B5-01 3PU 2Pot Part1.pdf" which show how to have a master tone.

I had seen that and kind of dismissed it. But now that you point it out, in my case, the master tone would be the TBX system. I have thought that the neck pickup could benefit from that. You lose a little bit of flexibility but you also gain something too. I think I like it!

Back