Free exotic wood

hannaugh

Master Member
Check out the exotic wood I got for free in Oregon. 

Honduran Rosewood:

3483009223_cab764c981.jpg

And Padouk:

3483010375_c69fd9eec6.jpg

He also gave me a box of small scraps of both woods.  Now the question: what should I make?

My first thought was "fretboard". Is it big enough for guitar? The rosewood has really cool figure.

Hannaugh, if I've told you once I've told you a hundred times... You're not supposed to go around cutting down trees and sawing timber out of them when you're on vacation.  :tard:

The boards are all different sizes, ranging from 1" x 5 1/4" to 1" x 4"ish.  The Padouk is around 1" x 3".

I was thinking fretboard or some small instruments like a solid body electric mando and/or uke.  My fiance's father also said we could have some of his vintage redwood, which I guess is cut in huge slabs.  So now it's just down to coming up with project ideas.  

This Rosewood and Padouk is cool though.  According to the guy who gave it to me, it was all air dried for 5 years and then kiln dried after that rather than being all kiln dried.  

dbw said:
Hannaugh, if I've told you once I've told you a hundred times... You're not supposed to go around cutting down trees and sawing timber out of them when you're on vacation.   :tard:

But you know how I love chainsaws...

hannaugh said:
I was thinking fretboard or some small instruments like a solid body electric mando and/or uke.

What do mean "or"?!  :icon_biggrin:

Go nuts, I say!

Nice, most of the rosewoods look like they would make some killer fretboards.... :icon_thumright:

But VK had a good idea of gluing them all together and making a body of it. Maybe put the padouk in as some runners.... :dontknow:

I don't know if it's just me but they look just a little bit too thin for a body.  :dontknow:

That rosewood has some sweet figuring though, I'd go with turning them into fretboards if it were me.

Tempest said:
I don't know if it's just me but they look just a little bit too thin for a body.  :dontknow:

That rosewood has some sweet figuring though, I'd go with turning them into fretboards if it were me.
Possibly, but there's plenty of them to double stack. Then plane down to thickness.... :icon_biggrin:

Hmm...tough choice...a lot of good ideas so far.  How long are those boards?

I can see a really cool custom amp cabinet out of that as well.

Most of them are around 5 ft. long.  I was thinking I would stack them and make a body that way. 

Back