For those without locking tuners

GoDrex

I find this is a great way to string up your guitar - instead of the usual way of winding the string 3 or 4 times around the post...  check it out. It's especially good for trem users, even through the video shows a TOM bridge and stop piece, that part doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4

What do you think? Anyone use this method? I used to before I had locking tuners on all of my guitars.

That's what I do too. Good tip at the end to bend down the string, I hadn't thought of that.

I do that on my wound strings, but have had some slips on unwound.  On those I do a once over and twice under with a similar pinching lock.

Never saw it before! Will try someday, but I think all my guitars are coming with locking tuners :dontknow:

That is the correct way of stringing.  One half to one full wrap on the post.  On the unwound strings, if you leave a little slack in the string - a LITTLE - you can get an extra wrap.  I only ever seem to have a problem on the high E with some slippping.

Lots of wraps on the post is bad.  The more string you have there, the more you're strings are going to have to "settle in" and stretch before holding tune.  Then whammy and bends are going to be an issue - especially whammy where you push down, because the wraps will loosen, then you're in the same boat all over again.

On the wound strings, the key to not slipping is pulling the string TIGHT across itself when you make the locking "bend".  A lazy bend at that point will let it get undone or slip.  A sharp bend, held tight while you wind up the string presents no problem.

The method I use, is to line up the string hole in the tuner with the direction of the strings on the fretboard.  Pass the string thru, pull it sharp towards the right (or left on G, B and E on a 3x3 tuner guitar).  Pass it under the string entering the tuner hole, then pull it up sharp (make that crease in it) and bend it over.  Then just wind up.  It actually uses a bit less string than what was shown in the video, but takes a little more effort, as you have to line up the tuner holes with the direction of the strings - not really a big deal.

=CB= said:
That is the correct way of stringing.  One half to one full wrap on the post.  On the unwound strings, if you leave a little slack in the string - a LITTLE - you can get an extra wrap.  I only ever seem to have a problem on the high E with some slippping.

Lots of wraps on the post is bad.  The more string you have there, the more you're strings are going to have to "settle in" and stretch before holding tune.  Then whammy and bends are going to be an issue - especially whammy where you push down, because the wraps will loosen, then you're in the same boat all over again.

On the wound strings, the key to not slipping is pulling the string TIGHT across itself when you make the locking "bend".  A lazy bend at that point will let it get undone or slip.  A sharp bend, held tight while you wind up the string presents no problem.

The method I use, is to line up the string hole in the tuner with the direction of the strings on the fretboard.  Pass the string thru, pull it sharp towards the right (or left on G, B and E on a 3x3 tuner guitar).  Pass it under the string entering the tuner hole, then pull it up sharp (make that crease in it) and bend it over.  Then just wind up.  It actually uses a bit less string than what was shown in the video, but takes a little more effort, as you have to line up the tuner holes with the direction of the strings - not really a big deal.
My, you're full of helpful tricks! I have to re-string soon, my strings are seeming worn out.

GoDrex said:
I find this is a great way to string up your guitar - instead of the usual way of winding the string 3 or 4 times around the post...  check it out. It's especially good for trem users, even through the video shows a TOM bridge and stop piece, that part doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4

What do you think? Anyone use this method? I used to before I had locking tuners on all of my guitars.

seriously, you have never seen this method of stringing up before???

this is the correct way to do it... wrapping the string around the post a bunch of times is the incorrect technique.

Yeah, seems like a bad idea to me.  I differ from CB's method slightly... I start with the tuner hole perpendicular to the string, I put the string through from the inside of the headstock to the outside.  Gives me a bit more slack.

Also, if you use a low E heavier than .050 or so you don't need to lock that string.

line6man said:
seriously, you have never seen this method of stringing up before???

this is the correct way to do it... wrapping the string around the post a bunch of times is the incorrect technique.

Seriously, never saw it... I've made a course ( the only one here) of luthiery here in Brazil... Now you think why I'm planning go to other country try to learn it...

yep, done it that way for a long time, actually learned about it in a book that I still have and use for guitar and amp maintenance and repair

Back