Olive Drab Meadowhawk w/Gotoh 510

Interesting, can you show pics to demonstrate what you're talking about? I'm always on the lookout for a new detail to obsess over, and sadly I'm not kidding.

Found the Black Gold video segment where I talk about it (starts at 13:28):

Found the Black Gold video segment where I talk about it (starts at 13:28):

Thanks for finding the video + location.

I checked my two guitars with 3-way toggles, and the one installed at the factory by Ibanez looks good (black tip), but the one on a parts guitar (white tip) now looks a bit odd. It doesn't appear to be proud of the body by any more than the black tipped-switch, but the thinner nut leaves some of the threading exposed. It's just not as clean a look. I hadn't noticed this before and now I can't unsee it. I hope you're happy, sir!

IMG_4961(1).jpgIMG_4960(1).jpg

Thanks for finding the video + location.

I checked my two guitars with 3-way toggles, and the one installed at the factory by Ibanez looks good (black tip), but the one on a parts guitar (white tip) now looks a bit odd. It doesn't appear to be proud of the body by any more than the black tipped-switch, but the thinner nut leaves some of the threading exposed. It's just not as clean a look. I hadn't noticed this before and now I can't unsee it. I hope you're happy, sir!

View attachment 62924View attachment 62923

my-work-here-8gd3sn.jpg

I found an acceptable "not too pretty" neck to go with the "not too pretty" olive drab body. Actually, I think the body is beautiful. I just didn't want to (okay, I really wanted too ... but, held myself back :p ) put a super crazy neck on such a basic body.

I had a Vintage/Modern Wolfgang with 1-3/4" nut, roasted flame maple with figured unique choice Ziricote fretboard in the cart and had to step back. I just can't wait that long! ;) I can always replace the neck later, if desired.

Anyway, this will be the neck ...

1727410627084.jpeg

1727410662467.jpeg

1727410717220.jpeg

A little more progress on this project ...

The copper shielding job is complete. It was an interesting adventure, for sure. I struggled at first but got my technique down better towards the end. Used 12"x10" sheet and 2" tape from Philadelphia Luthier (conductive adhesive).

Also pressed in the bridge studs. This was one of my biggest fears, as I had never done it before. It went amazingly well. Used a 3/16"x1-1/2" dowel pin in a drill press. Straight and smooth! (y)

View attachment 62907
View attachment 62908

The bridge looks great, as well. Very massive and solid feeling. I decided to go for a little custom "bling" with the toggle switch ring (also from Philadelphia Luthier).

View attachment 62909

Time to start wiring up the toggle switch ...

Wow! Very cool

If "W" releases these for general sale, I'm looking at my next guitar build. Really cool!

Progress report ...

I got the 3-way toggle switch wired up and installed. Was planning on using the novelty "Chill/Vibes" chrome backing ring, but ultimately decided it was just too much. Looks a bit more refined without it. Also got the recessed switch nut dialed in by using the standard flat nut as an internal spacer to put the shaft threads just below (and out of sight) from the front view.

1727575641621.jpeg

1727575699269.jpeg

Did a temporary fitting of the pots so I could get the spacer stack just right in order to have barely any space between the control knob bottoms and the body surface. This photo gives a bit more of an educated guess about how the finished product will look. The thin chrome pickup rings are from Warmoth. The chrome dome knobs were discovered in the "parts bin" - a wrong purchase at the time, but useful now! :D

1727576074550.jpeg

I also got the "OUT"put jack :)giggle:) wired up and ready. Still need to drill pilot holes for the pickup rings and jack plate.

Also ordered the Gotoh locking tuners. I really just want to try something different. I love the Schaller lockers. I'll decide after the neck arrives if I will end up using them.

Need to install the strap buttons, too. I have some of the oversized Gotoh buttons that I am leaning towards. I typically do the Schaller strap lock setup. Still undecided on that one.

Back