*******For anyone that has broken a screw in their headstock***********

RobR

A whole kit!!!!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routing_bits/Guitar_Screw_Rescue_Kit.html?keyword=1709

Great video as well!!!

Kudos to Stewmac!

Misread this as "**** anyone that has broken a screw." :doh:

That's pretty cool, but the price is a bit steep. If it were at Home Depot, it would probably be about $20 for the bits. But then again, it's StewMac.

The cool thing is you can purchase just the extractor..... then again for what would you pay a tech to do this... I don't think the price is that out of line....

That's what I did. I've got a generous pile of shish kebab skewers that are exactly the right diameter for that extractor, so I didn't need the plug cutter or drill bit.

The couple of times I've broken off screws (couple being loosely defined as 2 or more), the screw broke off flush with the surface of the wood. So, I used a small engraving bit to cut a slot on the visible face of the screw shaft. It took less than 10 mins to do. Then, I simply used a small straight-slot screw driver to remove the rest of the screw, so no plug was needed.  :dontknow:

I bought a hose adapter, and filed teeth into it. It worked wonderfully, and I paid only a few bucks.

(don't think I got one with the screw broken in)
smallDSCI0023.jpg

smallDSCI0020.jpg

smallDSCI0025.jpg

smallDSCI0028.jpg

smallDSCI0031.jpg

I wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago. I too broke a screw flush with the back of the guitar headstock. Took a bit of drilling each side of the offending screw and some pointy nose pliars to get it out. This kit would have made it so much easier!

Max said:
I bought a hose adapter, and filed teeth into it. It worked wonderfully, and I paid only a few bucks.

Great job!  I love seeing these kind of improvised solutions.

That was a crafty fix that workes with some tuners.... but for others leaves a pretty big "boink" thats visible.

Let me modify the train of thought a little....

You can get small steel tubing - old AC units, brake line, any old steel tubing.  I've used brass too, but... you have to go a lot slower, expecially in maple.  Just cut an inch of tubing that just barely fits over the screw thats in the wood.  File some little jagged edge to it and chuck it lightly in a hand crank drill.  The old busted screw guides the tubing and if you spin the little tube in the direction of removing the screw, you'll have a minimal hole to fix. 

And it works!  Just use a hand crank drill.

That fix comes from the man who is arguably the best guitar repair man on planet earth, Mr. Frank Ford, Gryphon Stringed Instruments - and a true gentleman of a human being as well.

Warmoth, step up to the plate and sell the right screws for the bogus product you sell, you build guitar necks, you know these screws that come with the tuners are not the right screws, add the right screws and charge us the added fees. This could save us hundreds of dollars in repairs that these bogus aftermarket products cause.

It's called being a good neighbor, someone who has your back, not just letting one fall on his FACE. :dontknow:

isabel@cf-1.com said:
Warmoth, step up to the plate and sell the right screws for the bogus product you sell, you build guitar necks, you know these screws that come with the tuners are not the right screws, add the right screws and charge us the added fees. This could save us hundreds of dollars in repairs that these bogus aftermarket products cause.

It's called being a good neighbor, someone who has your back, not just letting one fall on his FACE. :dontknow:

With respect, I would say that your experience is more of an exception than the standard.  Most of us pre-drill and lubricate appropriately with successful results.  Once you've pre-drilled and lubed appropriately, small finger driven screwdrivers are really all that is needed to screw them into the pilot holes.  I even place a drop of glue in there just to give some "tack" to the hole once the soap has done its job.

Sorry, I did not mean to come down on Warmoth so hard concerning tuner screws, I was just spooked by the fact that I could mess up my new neck by a pesky after market product screw.

And I do love my Vintage Tuners, so easy to string as long as you use a tooth pick in the holes of the two high strings to keep them from popping out. Gotoh should begin to use the screws they used before  and provide proper tooth picks with their tuners. lol  :laughing3:

These days you really can't be a good neighbor as that could lead to bigger problems. Just imagine if Warmoth did provide proper screws and one of them broke, because good screws on occasion will break. People like me would be all over that. lol  :tard:

Warmoth's products are of exceptional Quality.  :binkybaby:

Thank You  :party07:

Yes, my wife thought it was a great little kit when I showed her some Stewmac stuff that I just got. She suggested that I need a new toolbox or chest dedicated to luthier type tools.

This bodes well for current and future builds    :)

stratamania said:
Yes, my wife thought it was a great little kit when I showed her some Stewmac stuff that I just got. She suggested that I need a new toolbox or chest dedicated to luthier type tools.

This bodes well for current and future builds    :)

Hehe! Yup! That's tacit approval and authorization to proceed! <grin>

I've done that, just to keep luthier tools separate from other tools. Plus, there have a been a few occasions where I had to go work on a guitar someplace other than home, so it was nice to have everything I could need short of power tools with me. I got one of these, because it looked sorta cool in a road case kinda way...

41l2ovooeNL.jpg

It's long enough that you can store 18" straightedges and fretboard sanding blocks, and big enough overall to store just about everything you'd need.

That's a cool looking case Cagey, and of course I will have to get one large enough to accommodate future expansion  :cool01:

Back