Floyd Rose question

Mule Train

If I want to have;

a semi low profile, think Strat, not Les Paul for string height off of the body

Blocked, so no travel for pull ups in pitch, but MAYBE, at certain times, be able to ad a little up for vibrato

What should I order for recess and neck pocket angle?

My inclination is to order normal neck pocket and no recess as I think the pocket angle will add too much string height and I don’t need to pull up/float

I have a lot of experience with Floyd’s going back to the Kramer Pacer beak headstock thru the hair metal period and now with floating Charvel Guthrie Govan.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated

the Big W's web auto adds a angled pocket when you do a non recessed floyd, so there's probably a good reason for its existence, my dude

Hey Mule Train...welcome to the forum!

BR is correct: you can't specify "neck pocket angle" independently. It is determined automatically based on the bridge rout you order. Order a recessed Floyd rout you get a standard neck pocket. Order a non-recessed Floyd rout, you get an angled pocket. Any other combination won't set up properly.

Hope that helps!

I'm working on a Charvel build right now and I opted for a flat pocket rather than an angled one, as I have the Floyd slammed right to the body. The action is just a little too high and the only way I can bump it up is to shim the neck.

Next time I make a Floyd guitar I'm going to do the angled pocket and skip the hassle.

To get the lowest string height relative to the top of the body you'll need a recessed route and flat pocket. You can "block" your trem with one of the fancy floyd stoppers on the market or a 1979 quarter :headbang:

Recessed Floyd rout. You can get "trem stops", or the "Tremol'No" system to set it for dive only operation.

All of my Warmoth builds are non-recessed FR trems. While the string height above the body is greater than with other setups, the bridge itself on all of them does not sit way above the body. The bridge sits level on top of the body, with no upward play. And, the string height above the length of the fretboard is mighty low. And to me, that is the big-ticket-item.
Just my 2 cents.

Back