Floyd Rose NutShelf on vintage modern neck - who did it?

GT1-Reach

Hi guys,

i am currently planning a new build, inspired by the Richie Sambora MK1.

Unfortunately there is no Floyd Rose Nutshelf option on vintage modern necks. I will go with a closet clean MJT body that will age along the way, it got a fender contoured heel, so the modern construction neck is out of the equation.
Why dont just buy a used Sambora MK1? well, i want a cherry sunburst one and there is none available at the moment and, more importantly, the neck on the sambora is way too thin for my taste. I had a white one in the past and my preferred neck profile changed since then, i cant stand the modern slim necks anymore. This time i will try the 59 roundback,

I drift away.

The question is, does anybody here routed their vintage modern neck for a floyd nut shelf?

I want to go this way, i dont want to miss out on the glorious (and by many hated) star inlays.
I see there might be problems with adjusting the trussrod once the nutshelf is installed, i try to tackle this problem with a " Gotoh Nutshelf with bullet recess", just like on the original.

any thoughts? has anybody done such a mod?

best regards from germany, Dennis

Not sure on the answer here, but I'm interested too. Coincidently, I just purchased a NOS floyd rose tremolo, which comes with an R7 nut, which is basically an R2, with a channel underneath to allow for the truss rod for headstock truss rod adjustable necks.

My question would be how to safely route the nut shelf?

sounds like a bad idea mon frere. that's like trying to put the iron Man's skin metal (his inspector gadget type suit stuff) on Richard gere, sure it might be possible but it wouldn't be pretty and u ruin something beautiful in the process

@fmunoz

Well, if you got a 41mm nut width the R7 is exactly what you need. I searched the internet and checked with my luthier, routing a floyd rose nutshelf on a Vintage/modern neck needs a Nutshelf with a "bullet recess".

I can remember my MK1 Sambora Strat i used to have had such a nut with bullet recess.

here are 2(fairly bad) pictures of a luthier routing a nutshelf on a vintage modern neck, its definitely possible.
https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/07/08/routing-for-floyd-rose-locking-nut/

I think i will order a vintage modern neck the coming days maybe with no nut and than give it to my luthier once it arrives.

on the other hand my current neck with LSR Roller Nut and floyd rose holds tuning VERY well. the last 5-10 percent are the clamping nut.
im not sure i really need the floyd nut.
my guitar withstands even pretty extreme divebombs.

Back