Floyd Rose Nut

Fivethumbs

This is my first post and it's not meant to be Warmoth bashing.  I have been ordering Warmoth necks and bodies since 1994. (I still have the old 1994 paper catalog). For the most part I have been very pleased with Warmoth's quality and I have built some really sweet guitars with Warmoth parts. Anyway I just received two Strat necks that I ordered from Warmoth that were both prepped for Floyd nuts. Both of them were milled for the Floyd Rose R-5. The R-5 is a taller nut  than the R-2 nd R-3 nuts and therefore, needs to be milled deeper. I installed both necks on Warmoth bodies and set up the action at the bridge. Unfortunately the action at the nut on both necks is ridiculously high. As in they are virtually unplayable. I remember seeing a Warmoth neck on ebay where the seller stated the nut was not milled deep enough by Warmoth so he filed it down by hand himself. I stayed away from that neck because in my experience you can't file a Floyd Rose platform down by hand and keep it even and flat. Anyway, in the past I have only returned one item to Warmoth and it was unaltered and within the 10 days return period. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Floyd Rose platforms done by Warmoth and if so, what did they do? Since I drilled the tuner holes and mounted the necks I can't return them. I am wondering if anyone else has had experience returning a previously installed neck to Warmoth to have them re-do something. I would be surprised if this were tru,e but I am wondering if somehow Warmoth is not aware that the R-5 nut needs to be milled deeper than the other sizes. Anyone have any thoughts?

I got one for my V-2 guitar that I am still working on. My problem was that it was actually drilled to deep for my nut. All that I have been able to figure out is that I have to add shims underneath to make it the right height.  :(

Actually, too low is preferable to being too high. They make shims especially for that so you can dial in your action just the way you like it. I have another guitar that a guitar tech did the Floyd installation. It's milled slightly too low so I just added a shim and it is perfect. These two necks I have now are WAY off. I emailed Warmoth and am waiting for a response.

I have two necks with this problem...both Warmoth Pro, both milled for R4 nut.
On both, I had to lower the shelf by hand (it CAN be done, but it takes ages!)

I think Warmoth could do with having a look at the dimensions etc used for locking nut prep.

I'm surprised to hear this actually. I've had three Warmoth necks, all with Floyd nut prep done by Warmoth at the factory and all three were too low. I agree that too low is far preferable to too high, but I've found that a couple thin shims under the nut fixed the problem.

Could it be that the neck needs to be shimmed in the pocket to tilt the fretboard into a position more parallel to the strings? With my second Warmoth build, I wound up shimming the neck in the pocket to fit with a non-recessed Floyd installation. It worked out really well that way.

Changing the action at the bridge has very little effect on the action at the nut. The correct way to measure the action at the nut is not effected by the action at the bridge. My guitar repair manual states that to measure the action at the nut you press the low E string down between the second and third frets so its just barely touching the second fret. Then you measure the action at the first fret. It shoud be .005" or very close. Mine measured over .025". That is way off. Yesterday I got an email response from Warmoth that sounded like a pre-fabricated standard response. I was basically told that the action is off probably because I'm using a different brand of locking nut and/or Warmoth likes to err on the tall side because "it's easier to take wood off than to add it back on." I emailed back that I'm using a genuine made in Germany Floyd Rose nut purchased from Warmoth and that it's so far off that there's no way it could be considered "erring on the tall side." My Floyd Rose installation manual states that the Floyd Rose nut shelf should be milled .0215" for the R-2 nut and .0265" for the R-5 nut. My necks measure right about .020". This makes me think they mistakenly milled my necks for the more common R-2. I tried to explain that to them in my last email. I told them I don't want to return the necks I just want to send them back to be re-milled to the proper height. Now I'm waiting to hear back but I have a sinking feeling they're going to tell me that I''m on my own.

bust out that fine grit sandpaper and make an an hour long job, sorry to hear that it all didnt fit right, I just got a floyd prepped neck and everything fits great for me, best of luck getting it where your like it.

I've been down that road before and won't go down it again. It's almost impossible to sand down the platform while keeping it even and flat. It works if you don't mind the nut not sitting perfectly flush, seeing gaps, or having the nut sit crooked.

If you use a file it can be done. I had to do that to 2 of my Pro necks and it worked fine. It also has to do with the height of the frets you use.

hmm yeah that could be hard if you do it by hand maybe put the paper over a perfectly flat block of wood and use that so it evenly applies the pressure? i would think that would keep it pretty level and flat, just a suggestion

I know this is an old thread, but Warmoth did the same to me. The nut shelf was way too high and they told me to sand it.  :redflag: I don't think so, so I had to send it out to be milled down. You cant tell me that they cant figure out the right depth to cut that shelf  :icon_scratch:

My 2 cents worth

P

This problem seems to be reoccurring quite often.... I think Greg and Tony should have a look at this.

You cant tell me that they cant figure out the right depth to cut that shelf 

My 2 cents worth

P

This has been explained before ad nauseum.  There is no "right" depth.  You want your neck set up with the lowest action possible.  Some other guy finds it more comfortable a little higher.  If they increased the depth at which they make the shelf.  It will be too low for some other people.  Not to mention that when they make the neck, they don't necessarily know what kind of frets sre going on that particular neck.  They have made the decision to err on the high side, so that you can lower it to your desired level.  I know that some of you may find this hard to believe, but Warmoth makes necks for lots of people, not just you.

Not sure if I'm too late here...but I am a guitar repairman near Warmoth, and I made a jig so I can route floyd pockets.  I've done 2 so far for clients, and they turned out great!  If you need yours customized, give me a jingle.  I'm thinking $30-$40 should cover it.

email: Stockwellguitars@aol.com

Mark Stockwell

Well...jig or no jig...even though I have the tools to help you, or anybody else in your situation...some of the 'Waromoth' posters are mad that I offered to help you because I'm not a 'Website'.  I'm a real person.

Excuse my thoughtlessness.

StockwellGuitars said:
Well...jig or no jig...even though I have the tools to help you, or anybody else in your situation...some of the 'Waromoth' posters are mad that I offered to help you because I'm not a 'Website'.  I'm a real person.

Nobody was/is mad that you were offering to help. Your constant pimping/spamming of your website in every thread you posted in was what annoyed people. That should probably kept to PM's in respect to Warmoth. Common sense, really.

SrDeMaFp said:
StockwellGuitars said:

Nobody was/is mad that you were offering to help. Your constant pimping/spamming of your website in every thread you posted in was what annoyed people. That should probably kept to PM's in respect to Warmoth. Common sense, really.

+1

Back