Floyd Rose Nut prep

rauchman

Greetings,

Regarding prep for a Floyd Rose nut install, is there a preference between the "Shelf Only" and "Prep w/ Mounting Holes"?

Thanks!

I prefer the mounting holes. It seems a better method of attachment to me and all of the guitars I have had since the eighties with Floyds or similar have had that method used.

stratamania said:
I prefer the mounting holes. It seems a better method of attachment to me and all of the guitars I have had since the eighties with Floyds or similar have had that method used.

Excellent....thank you

I talk about top screw mounted Floyd nuts in this video:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uY1gzg5LoPc[/youtube]

Mentioning how the screws on top-mounted Floyd nuts can work loose over time was something I included because Ken said he has observed it. I never have. I have an ESP EII-ST2 that has a top-mounted Floyd nut. It's one of my main gigging guitars, and I have played it a LOT. The nut is still rock solid.

I also have about five other guitars with Floyds. The nuts on those are all mounted the common way, with mounting holes screwed in from the back. Those have all stayed rock solid as well.

From a theoretical standpoint, the mounting holes method seems like the smarter, more sturdy way to mount the nut. I would always opt for it, given the choice. In practice I've had Floyd nuts mounted both ways and never encountered a problem with either.

The Aaron said:

Mentioning how the screws on top-mounted Floyd nuts can work loose over time was something I included because Ken said he has observed it. I never have. I have an ESP EII-ST2 that has a top-mounted Floyd nut. It's one of my main gigging guitars, and I have played it a LOT. The nut is still rock solid.

I also have about five other guitars with Floyds. The nuts on those are all mounted the common way, with mounting holes screwed in from the back. Those have all stayed rock solid as well.

From a theoretical standpoint, the mounting holes method seems like the smarter, more sturdy way to mount the nut. I would always opt for it, given the choice. In practice I've had Floyd nuts mounted both ways and never encountered a problem with either.

Great info....thank you!

Man, after being the guy in my local music scene that gets the call for all the crazy Floyd action I gotta say. Get the rear mounted holes. Even if the screws hold it down from the top with over 100 Ilbs of pressure from your strings at the head stock the locknut will shift slightly. 90% of the tuning stability issues you're going to have come from that.

:rock-on:

-HM

Same here, got plenty of guitars with both top and bottom mounting, a few are 25 plus years old and never a problem with any coming loose. :headbang:

The Aaron said:

Nice vid A-aron....Quick little note, there is also speed loader Floyd saddles that you don't have to cut the ball ends off. The saddle adjustment bolt is hollow, and you just feed the string thru the bolt itself...
FRSpeedSaddle-2T.jpg
...I have several guitars with these saddles.... :icon_thumright:

But I agree, it's not as difficult as people make it out to be...

Back