Floyd prep string nut question...

T

Tiger10594

Hello there.  I'm going to be ordering a neck from the showcase, and i need locking nut prep for it.  First of all, is holes through neck option mean completely ready to put the locking nut on?  And second, what do the R3 and R4 options mean?  Thanks, and thanks for all your help so far.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=stringnut

scroll down, nut prep $50 :hello2:

Tiger10594 said:
Hello there.  I'm going to be ordering a neck from the showcase, and i need locking nut prep for it.  First of all, is holes through neck option mean completely ready to put the locking nut on?  And second, what do the R3 and R4 options mean?  Thanks, and thanks for all your help so far.
No, the holes are only part of it. You have to specify to them what size nut you want before it's ready.. R3 is the 1-11/16 narrow width string spacing, and the R4 is the 1-11/16 wide string spacing.

Ok...i want the narrow width, so i'll go with R3.  But, do i want the "holes through neck" or the "platform only"?

Tiger10594 said:
Ok...i want the narrow width, so i'll go with R3.  But, do i want the "holes through neck" or the "platform only"?
I have both, and it doesn't really make a difference either way. It's all a mater of preference I suppose. All Floyd nuts mount either way, 2 machine screws thru the bottom of the neck. Or 2 wood screws thru the top. The only thing that really make a difference is if you get and angled headstock.If so you will have to have the 2 holes drilled from the back as the truss rod groove is wider than the spacing of the screw holes on the top...

Well, it is an angled headstock, so I want to go with the "holes through neck"?

Thanks.  Sorry for the stupid questions...but I've got one more....  Okay, does the neck have to already have a nut shelf on it?  Or does that not matter?

Tiger10594 said:
Thanks.  Sorry for the stupid questions...but I've got one more....  Okay, does the neck have to already have a nut shelf on it?  Or does that not matter?
Nope....

Back