Flame Maple Thinline with Dirty Harry Pickups

Soloshchenko

Heres my first Warmoth build, a mahoganny thinline with a flame maple top and Rio Grande Dirty Harry Pickups. It's all finished in Tung Oil.

Due to a tough year at college and difficulties in getting RG pickups in the UK this guitar has been about 12 months in the making! I couldn't be happier with it though. The tone is very full and rich and the neck is incredibly silky to play.

I can't see me ever buying Fender guitars again knowing that I can build this standard of guitar for a similar price.

P1020618.jpg

Great work......See  we can do guitars on this side of the Atlsntic too y'know....... :icon_thumright:
Lahvly birdseyes on the neck.

Go Brits....... :glasses9:

jimh said:
Great work......See  we can do guitars on this side of the Atlsntic too y'know....... :icon_thumright:
Lahvly birdseyes on the neck.

Go Brits....... :glasses9:

Cheers mate. Yeah, shame we have to pay so much to the government for it tho!

If I lived in the US and had no duty to pay my house would just be full of Warmoths!

jackthehack said:
Nice build! How do you like the Dirty Harry set?

I love them. Very ballsy but far more defined than humbuckers. They even sound fantastic clean which I really wasn't expecting. I couldn'[t recommend them highly enough. I'm definately a Rio Grande convert now.

Soloshchenko said:
jackthehack said:

I love them. Very ballsy but far more defined than humbuckers. They even sound fantastic clean which I really wasn't expecting. I couldn'[t recommend them highly enough. I'm definately a Rio Grande convert now.

Awesome build!  Glad to hear about the Rio Grande Dirty Harrys.  I'm building a Strat with some Rio Grandes, one of which is the Dirty Harry Jr.

DocNrock said:
Soloshchenko said:
jackthehack said:

Awesome build!  Glad to hear about the Rio Grande Dirty Harrys.  I'm building a Strat with some Rio Grandes, one of which is the Dirty Harry Jr.

Yeah the neck PU on this is a DH jnr. You won't be disapointed. Very versatile pickup.

I always love it when a build I see here just puts the big F to shame.  You'd have to shell out some serious cash to their custom shop to get a Thinline that nice.  Congrats, man.  I know it feels good after a year of working on it! 

guitlouie said:
I always love it when a build I see here just puts the big F to shame.  You'd have to shell out some serious cash to their custom shop to get a Thinline that nice.  Congrats, man.  I know it feels good after a year of working on it! 

Cheers, You really would, particularly the birdseye. Has anyone else noticed the pale white maple they are using on their necks these days? There's more figuring on my Squire tele than on modern US fender necks. I know its all aesthetic but theseare the things that make a guitar feel 'right'.

I can't believe that I am falling in love with almost every single thinline I see on this board! (and I always disliked teles!!)
anyway, that is a great job! how many coats of tung-oil on that? and was it 100% pure Tung-Oil?

and yes, what's up with all the socks and knickers all over the place?

You guys sound like my mum!!! My room, My mess!!!!! :laughing3:

Cheers Marko. Yes I used Liberon Pure Tung Oil for this which is pretty much the only pure tung oil I could find in the UK. Only needed about 8coats on the neck (the first 3 were thinned) and on the body I did 16 I think. This was because the tung oil seemed to be kind of browning the wood more each time and the FM and mahoganny seemed to absorb it really easily so I just kept going til it felt right, then left for a month to completely dry out. The finish feels much nicer than my other 2 guitars, far more natural. If I knew what I was doing I would strip back the poly finish on that LP and do the same thing to that.

DocNrock said:
BTW, lovin the Rio Grandes on my Strat, particularly the Dirty Harry, Jr.!  You were right!

Nicest pickups I've ever played. I'm a RG convert now, want to tryout some Muy Grandes next.

someone with RG's post sound clips! I'm getting tired of everyone raving about these things and never hearing them! :laughing8:

Someone's been busy. Great tele!

Love the flame and the pickguard, lovely axe.  :icon_thumright:

Back