Flame Maple HB Strat

tfarny

This one was made possible by the fact that I got all the hardware and pups really, really cheaply off of ebay and craigs list, then checked the closeouts until I found the right body for them. It's gonna be a dual HB strat with wilkie trem and PW tuners, SD jazz neck and Custom 5 bridge, black warmoth PG, and the 5-way switch is gonna give the three usual HB options plus two coil tap options. master vol/tone. Chrome hardware. Neck is a custom order, maple / ebony no markers. ss6105, standard thin. Basically a rock n roll strat that could go pretty shreddy if need be. Nothing too fancy, just want it to be very functional. Total cost very reasonable. Basically I want to learn finishing and get more experience, and then sell it just to get back my learning expenses. Craig's list is very active in LA, so I think I'll be able to do that. I'm moving to a little apartment in NYC in August and CANNOT take 147 guitars with me. I'll be very lucky to keep three and a bass.

My thinking is, black dye on the whole body then just sanding sealer and clear nitro. Maybe dye the peghead too. Back is a fine but forgettable 3 piece alder. Thoughts, suggestions? Will dying the alder be bad?Alternative finishing plans? The hardware and pups are already bought.

jimh

I had the same thing for about a week or so, even though my pics were only 50 or 60k

Then it just went away  :icon_scratch:

jimh

Lovely flame.  That could come out nice with a black dye, then a clear gloss  :sign13:

tfarny

The flame 'pops' more in that picture than in most of the angles in person; I'm hoping the dye will bring it out. It was a closeout body, up there for a while, at a substantial discount. I'm definitely doing black dye, I decided.

DangerousR6

Sounds like a nice one in the works there tf, and my god man.........147 guitars.......I would have been divorced b4 I got to 25. As it stands I have 14, and I here it all the time "why you need so many guitars, you can only play one at a time"....So I said oh ya, then I went and bought a double neck.......

tfarny

That's classic, only somebody on this board would take '147 guitars' literally. Dude that's a decent size music store!!!
It was just an expression, I actually have 5 of my own. I don't have a lot of space in my apartment and am moving to an even smaller apartment.

DangerousR6

tfarny said:
That's classic, only somebody on this board would take '147 guitars' literally. Dude that's a decent size music store!!!
It was just an expression, I actually have 5 of my own. I don't have a lot of space in my apartment and am moving to an even smaller apartment.
Ok you got me on that one....... :eek:    Pull the hook outta my jaw now...

Dude apartment life suuuuxxxxxxxx, never again will I live in an apt... I got a guitar room bigger than my first apt in my house....But I'm sure unless you're a billionaire there's no chance of buying a house in NY, or even LA for that matter.....

tfarny

Well that's the first pass at a dye; I thought it was way too black; I mixed the dye too heavily, I guess? Never done this before. Anyhow the grain was 'raised' I guess, and the whole thing was pretty rough-feeling, and I just decided it needed a sandback.

tfarny

So, next step, I guess (?) is to finish this sanding job, make it nice and even, and then dye again with much diluted dye? Advice much appreciated.

DangerousR6

DocNrock said:
That's going to be hot!
Somebody better call the fire dept.......
teu42.gif

2544271846_357940e0f9.jpg