Fixing a hole (in an old Tele body)

Glimmer

Don't know if this is really the appropriate place for this, or even if there is an appropriate place for it in the forum, but thought others might enjoy it as much as I have. I've got an old Tele that needed a similar plug and so was curious to see it done. Enjoy:

[youtube]CUUuMzxJ9h8[/youtube]

Yeah, I just watched that today. Always something interesting coming from ole Dan's shop.

I saw that earlier, too. I was kinda surprised at how well it turned out, but then he relic'd it! I understand the reasoning and everything, but damn. I couldn't do it.

Cagey said:
I saw that earlier, too. I was kinda surprised at how well it turned out, but then he relic'd it! I understand the reasoning and everything, but damn. I couldn't do it.

I sort'a cringed at that myself....

:-\

That video was new to me. I did enjoy it. The way he fit the grain to the body was really interesting. Good vid.

I don't like the relic look, though. Why trash something when you can have it in nice shape? Well, each to his own on that.

I enjoyed it more as a demonstration of Dan's skills as a tool-using primate than as an example of what should be done to a guitar body that's been robbed of some of its investment-grade cachet.  For me - and I realize I am not representative of the consensus view on antique Fenders - if the body's effed up, take it out of service and put something else in that will do the job as well or better.  I am not a vintage-enthusiast, and I think the stuff that has happened in the last 25-30 years to improve playability trumps "mojo" every time.  I don't suspect the cost of having Dan Erlewine inlay a slab of replacement lumber to cover up someone's screw-up - a repair that does nothing to restore the already-lost vintage value - is a recoverable one.  But if it makes the owner happy, awesome.

FWIW...

I couldn't give a s&*t about relicking. I know some folks dig it and, well, whatever. If I buy a new guitar, I want it to be new. If I'd prefer a well-worn (or should that be "road worn"?) guitar, I'll buy a used one. So happens I've bought both...

Re the body plug, as it were: I've got an old Tele (a '64), and without realizing what it would take – and how much it would cost – I had it "restored," and this meant plugging a big a$$ rout done years before I got it to turn it into a "hybrid" Tele (original Tele bridge pup, middle Strat pup, Humbucker neck pup). In the end it would have been cheaper to just buy a new body, maybe even a new guitar BUT I must admit that, 1, I had the money and so didn't care and, 2, it's mighty nice to have my "old" guitar in better playing shape than it had ever been. I played that guitar for years, in different bands, on and off stage, recorded with it, drug it around town, never took care of it, etc., and I still have it and it feels and plays great. A new guitar might feel and play greater, but I've been down the road a piece with this one and it's nice we're both still around. It'll never be worth what it would if it hadn't been butchered, but I don't care about the money value which, in the grand scheme of things, is a pittance. It's just a fine, albeit beat-up, guitar.

Definitely enjoyed watching it. Although I will say that was the first time I have actually SEEN someone relic a guitar, and it drove me a little crazy.

"You take this stone, and just pop it with a hammer. It looks great!"

Another thing I though was funny and related to:

"Ill take this off store it away. I'll probably never use it again, that's why I have so much crap in my shop."

Truer words have never been spoken...

Did something similar to a '52 Tele decades ago. Someone had routed it for 4 pickups and painted it neon pink. I routed a swimming pool size hole in it, and filled it - ended up painting it baby blue.

Pretty cool, I don't think I could bring myself to do that to a 53, but he did a marvelous job...

Side note: I have that same bench he has behind him... :toothy11:
My%20machine_zpsv9njotj6.jpg

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for "relic-ing". That's got to be the dumbest thing that's happened to the guitar since DePinto.

bobsessed said:
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for "relic-ing". That's got to be the dumbest thing that's happened to the guitar since DePinto.

Though my feelings on the subject haven't changed, I have regretted the cantankerous tone of my post above...

DangerousR6 said:
Pretty cool, I don't think I could bring myself to do that to a 53, but he did a marvelous job...

Looks like the one from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
DangerousR6 said:

Looks like the one from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html
Yes, it is... :laughing7:

bobsessed said:

It's an indictment of the culture we live in.  Everyone wants instant gratification - instant everything - and they don't want to work for it.  Why spend decades of life sleeping on random sofas, struggling with an artist's wages, and watching relationships crumble beneath the weight of your sacrifices when you can have a guitar that looks like it was taken on that ride for a few grand?  Willie Nelson mocks you!

I think "relicing" is the biggest scam since snake oil. :tard:

I'll relic my own guitar over 25-35 years, thank you very much. :headbang4:

I've got a memorable story for just about every nick & ding on it. :guitarplayer2:

I think taking a rasp to a new finished instrument and making an outlandish upcharge to it is an insult to the consumer.
If anything, they should mark it down.  :glasses9:

^  The worst part of it all lies within the dark recesses of craigslist, where every abused guitar is listed as a relic.

Back