Fitment issues

Honestly I wouldn't recommend taking a router to the neck pocket, as IMO its not the right tool for small adjustments.

The first thing to check is if the neck pocket is completely flat.  If there is any wood fragment sticking up, the high spot may prevent the neck for sitting flat and level.  In my case I normally run the edge of a hand chisel on the neck pocket on a new body.  Just to pick off anything that is obviously high.  I also have a few small off-cuts of metal bar to check for flatness and also use like a sanding block to level the neck pocket.    The Warmoth logo stamp will still be visible so I'm probably only removing around 0.1 or 0.2mm.    Removing a small amount of material at either the front or back of the neck pocket will change the angle of the neck, so it can be fine tuned to suit the bridge.  Removing 0.2mm at the back of the neck pocket will require the saddle height to lower by around 0.6mm because the effect multiplied due to the neck angle.  You obviously need to be careful removing small amounts of wood with the chisel and check with a flat object to make sure the neck pocket remains flat.  Probably I have this issue because I am installing hardtail bridges on every guitar.  If using a tremolo is set for floating the alignment might be better (most of the time). 

Another important thing is to check the relief of the neck before doing any kind of adjustment.  If the neck has back-bow or not quite enough relief, it will force you to set the saddles high, when you actually should be adjusting the truss rod to solve the problem.  IMO the most sensible approach is to string up the guitar and set everything under tension for at least a week, then disassemble the guitar and have a second attempt at fine tuning the neck angle.  If you have gone too far, you may end up needing to fit a shim.  The cautious approach is best if you are a perfectionist.

So I was having second thoughts about my advice and Mr. Hardtail very much voiced them.  A router for a 1mm change is a pretty big hammer for the job in front of you.  It will work, but you really need to be proficient with the thing.  And careful.  Did I mention careful?  Yea, maybe it was not the best advice for someone building their first guitar.  :)

If you're at all uncomfortable with the router, then yes hand tools are probably the best thing to try.

But - string it up first!  Might not be a problem at all and all this may be just speculation.

Exactly, a router would be pretty nuts for 1mm, and I wasn’t about to take one to my baby. I love the neck, and I took a lot of advice that can be found on here.

I drilled out holes with a little extra space for the pins on my fender locking tuners and they dropped right in. Zero fuss, no chipping or cracking.

The neck fit FLAWLESSLY height-wise. INSTEAD the heel was too wide and I had to carefully and evenly sand the heel of the pocket out. It took me about 2 hrs, with a pencil and 150 / 400 grit. When the neck finally slipped in, everything was in alignment and I went on to a quick truss rod adjustment before locking it down. I got the angle right where I like it with a hair’s width at the 8th fret.

I waxed the mounting screws and screwed it all together. Attached are pictures of the overhang height. It’s much better than with the unknown-brand blank vintage neck (reverb purchase) I had before. When checked with a level, the neck angle from the top of the frets matches the angle of the body.

Gotoh bridge gets in tomorrow, so plenty more work to come.

Attachments

• New neck 1.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
  • New neck 2.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
Welcome to the forum @NotImpressedBro

Thanks for the comments mentioning builds of myself and Cagey. Apologies also as obviously you are not a troll but the thread overall seemed a bit odd the way the thread had gone.

Good to hear your build is coming together well now.

Per the neck pocket, it does not normally get finished. Doing so would make the fit not right as well as the height. The rest is a good looking red.

I personally don't have a problem with something positive being in this thread. But it might be worth you making a build thread in work in progress and dedicate it to your build.

@Stratamania, you're making a whole lot of sense.  I absolutely will clean this thread up by moving most of this and putting these posts in a more fitting place.

Back