First Warmoth Strat finished - The Ounsworth Toneblaster

Tony Ounsworth

Following from here:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21966.0

and here:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22286.0

My first Warmoth project is now finished!

Key specs:

- Warmoth Swamp Ash hardtail Strat body in transparent red with a black burst over, and natural wood binding
- Warmoth Pro Jazzmaster neck, 22 medium jumbo frets, 10-16" compound radius, 5a Birdseye maple with Indian Rosewood fingerboard, pearloid block markers
- 3 x Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers (2 x Vintage, 1 x Seymourized), custom order without logo
- No tone controls, Volume has a Jackpot Potentiometer which sends the full signal to the output when clicked into the 10 position
- Callaham Hardtail Bridge
- Tonepro Kluson tuners

Lots of pix follow:

I deliberated for a bit over whether to have a logo at all, but I ordered a few variations from Rothko and Frost in the UK and eventually decided on this one:

The quality of the decal is superb, all I need to do now is lacquer over it, although I'm in no rush.

I also took a while to decide on the pickups, but I am absolutely ecstatic about the Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers. The lead tone, especially on the neck pickup is what I would call "juicy" where you can really hear the pick attack. Here's a video of me noodling some random rubbish just to give you an idea. I'm playing through a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 36, splash of reverb, recorded via an iRig into Garage Band. Apologies for the extreme lack of direction in what I'm playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_L0lKPKpRs&feature=youtu.be

I'll try to record something a bit more focussed at some point soon, perhaps with a backing track.

Jumble Jumble did a fantastic job on the wiring for me, and also did the fret ends which came unfinished from Warmoth. At some point I might get them levelled, but it's currently playing pretty well so I'll see. The nut is high as well, but not so much as to cause problems. Might get it done, might let it wear down naturally, not sure.

One thing I couldn't source from Warmoth is the pickguard in the photos, which is Black/Cream/Black. I ordered it from Sims Customs in the UK. I think it would be nice if Warmoth had that option amongst their pickguards, although the 'guards I did order from them (B/W/B, Black single ply, Cream, and Parchment) were all nice quality.

I have to say though, my experience with the people at Warmoth has been absolutely first rate. Very responsive, very helpful, and very polite. The quality of the parts is outstanding and really put the big names to shame IMO. It's an expensive endeavour for someone in the UK, what with customs charges and shipping, and it requires a degree of patience (which I sometimes lack), but it was worth the wait, and worth every penny as well. I feel like I now own something extremely special, and I'll be back for another go as soon as funds allow!

Thank you! I'm really very pleased with it indeed. It'll get it's first run out at a gig I'm doing on Saturday and I can't wait.

Only thing I haven't done yet is lacquer over the decal. The edges can be seen quite clearly now its dried, so I think I'll have a go at that on Sunday.

It's a one off, and spectacular looking Strat, that's for sure. :headbang: I'm in the UK too and have been pondering a decal too. Thanks for the heads up on Rothko and Frost.

mystique1 said:
It's a one off, and spectacular looking Strat, that's for sure. :headbang: I'm in the UK too and have been pondering a decal too. Thanks for the heads up on Rothko and Frost.

Yes, they do damn good work - I had mine done by them too...

dmheadstock.jpg

ORC

I tried to take some better photos at the weekend, before removing the neck to apply lacquer over the decal. I wanted to get some close up shots, as the standard body or full guitar shots don't do the details justice:

Gorgeous guitar! How did you go about ordering the logo-less mini hums?

I have a modern firebird with the stock pickups, and thought about replacing them with SD's about a dozen times (especially the bridge) but couldn't bring myself to do it with those embosed logos. I love the smooth clean look.

Thanks guys. It's not in action yet though as I still haven't gotten around to getting the final setup done. If work ever lets me take a lunchbreak again I might remedy that soon.

D'you think? I'm not so sure, I really struggle to make my guitars look as nice in photos as they do in real life. Like, I'll look at a guitar and think "That looks so cool", and then take a picture and it looks rubbish! Reflections all over the shop, contours distorted, etc.

But anyway, I did try a bit harder with the last lot of photos I put in the thread, so thanks. I think it's down to using the zoom, so that you get what your eyes see, but in close up. Moving the camera closer doesn't work.

Back