First time playing out...

grabby

What a rush. 350 people or so, I played on 8 songs with 4-5 solos total. Was unbelievably cool.

I'm the cowboy hat guy here:

2013-09-21%2019.11.14.jpg

Here are my two Warmoths before the gig:

2013-09-21%2015.16.35.jpg

And here's a link to a reporter covering out gig:

http://news.wypr.org/post/hoodstock-fundraiser-celebrates-its-10th-year

I'm officially hooked. But I will say, I sweated much, much more than I expected to...

very cool.  Hope you had fun! 

Just wait until you pull down 400 people for 3 sets worth of 40 songs...

grabby said:
I admire guys who can play 2 hour+ sets. Amazing.

I haven't done it enough times to talk about, but I have done it enough to know it's surprisingly demanding/tiring.

On the plus side, there's barrels of beer to drink and tons of praise to soak up, even if you suck. Oddly enough, you're usually the only person who thinks you did.

Cagey said:
grabby said:
I admire guys who can play 2 hour+ sets. Amazing.

I haven't done it enough times to talk about, but I have done it enough to know it's surprisingly demanding/tiring.

On the plus side, there's barrels of beer to drink and tons of praise to soak up, even if you suck. Oddly enough, you're usually the only person who thinks you did.

There's a hilarious story from way back in usenet days, of a band playing in a bar that didn't allow breaks. The jist of the story is free beer + long sets + no breaks + Gloria (three chord song on all open strings). I almost peed on myself laughing when I read it.

I gotta go with Cagey about thinking you sucked but no one else noticing it. I've played tons of gigs and I can remember back when I first got started on stage, finishing up my set feeling like I made more mistakes than anyone in the history of music could even think of making. When I got home and reviewed the video I was ready to cringe, but was amazingly surprised at how well it actually went and how my mistakes, or what I perceived as mistakes, really didn't show up that much. That alone gave me a lot more confidence going forward.

Congratulations on your first gig and here's to many, many, many more.
MULLY
and as Eddie Van Halen said, if you do make a big mistake that everyone notices, do it again so they think you did it on purpose  :party07:

Back