First neck, impressed

rickl1098

Couple pics of my new Warmoth neck, just got it setup and finished. Flame maple, 1 5/8 nut, wolfgang contour , ss frets and compound radius. I basically just tried to replicate a Wolfgang neck, the stock strat neck wasn't comfortable for me. It comes really close, it's a little beefier than a wolfgang neck but not enough to make any real difference in comfort. I oil finished it, going to take the chance, none of my other oiled maple necks have warped and I live in a stable climate and don't gig so the guitar won't ever really be exposed to changing environments.

I took it to my local luthier for a good setup, mainly so he could finetune the nut. He was really impressed with it, especially so since the ss frets were dead level straight out of the box and he didn't have to do any work to them. I don't mind the slightly sharp ends, if I were sensitive to fret ends they would have needed a little work but it doesn't bother me. If anyone's on the fence about the ss frets I gotta say my singular experience was wholly positive and there's no reason not to use them. The schallers needed a slight sanding out of the tuner reams, 5 minutes of work and it was all ready to go. Overall I can't be any happier with this neck.

I just wish I'd have looked into all this sooner. I don't think I'll ever buy another finished guitar again. Definitely got the bug now, can't wait to get started with an explorer project.

That's a really nice-looking guitar.
I intend to build one just like that, but with a "hardtail" bridge.

I'll have a hard time deciding whether or not to go fixed bridge or Floyd when I do eventually do an entire guitar.
I love the look of string through bridges but every time I'm on a hardtail I end up reaching for a bar that isn't there.

rickl1098 said:
  I'll have a hard time deciding whether or not to go fixed bridge or Floyd when I do eventually do an entire guitar.
I love the look of string through bridges but every time I'm on a hardtail I end up reaching for a bar that isn't there.
It sounds like you need two guitars :)

Back