First build: quilted maple top Strat

Jesse

Hey everyone, just registered on the forum a few days back and wanted to say hello.  I've been a big Ibanez player and collector for a number of years but I wanted an actual Strat, without the "super" aspects of the other stuff I have.

I've actually had this body since May.  I picked it up when there was that terrific 20% off sale.  I'd been considering custom building something very similar, but the deals were too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger.  My only real gripe with this body is the lack of the contoured heel.  I can understand that on more traditional bodies, but this is a drop top and far from traditional.

Anyway, enough griping about this beautiful thing!  This is a solid alder body with a quilted maple top in Jungle Burst finish.  It has a natural masked binding and is trans green on the back. Sorry about the poor focus on the second pic, but the bridge is a Gotoh EV510T-FE in black.  This one will have all black hardware.

Attachments

• warmothstrat-01.jpg
    warmothstrat-01.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • warmothstrat-02.jpg
    warmothstrat-02.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 849
  • warmothstrat-03.jpg
    warmothstrat-03.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 467
Welcome aboard, Jesse.  That's a handsome specimen you've selected.  What are you plans for the electronics and the neck?

Thanks.  Neck just shipped yesterday so I should get it soon.  I had intended to do a quartersawn canary neck with an oil finish and a macassar board, but then they posted those all ebony necks in the Showcase and that plan few right out the window.

So that's thrown a wrench in my pickup plans.  My whole reason for doing a Strat was to get a low power pickup with sparkly cleans, but I feel like I now can't go for a typical Strat pickup with an all ebony neck.  So I'm open to suggestions there.  Pots/switch/jack I'll go CTS or some other quality thing.  Haven't given that a ton of thought.

Hi Jesse. Some of the other forum members should chime in over the next few days and have some good input. I think at least one member has an all ebony neck on a tele. You could search that on the forum and maybe PM him for his thoughts. When I decided I was now a partscaster guy people in this forum have really been a help. Might be interesting to search youtube for any vids with all ebony necks or with all Pau Ferro since they would also be in a similar tonal neighborhood. I sort  of don't think an all ebony neck limits your pickup selection but see what others think and ultimately it has to all square with your ideas. I was an Ibanez player when I was first into the guitar years ago and had a couple humbucking Ibanez's that were great. When I started playing again and went the parts guitar route I became a strat player. I've gone with vintage style/output pickups and have no complaints. But my interest is blues music and those fit that well. Keep monitoring the forum and best to you in your project.

Well, it's hard to stop at just one, so don't give up on that canarywood idea.  My green tele with the canary neck (black ebony fretboard) is hands-down my favorite axe. 

Welcome and look forward to seeing the guitar come together.

That looks very nice. I can imagine it looks even better not in a photo. The purple strat linked in my signature has a quilted top and a Gotoh trem and none of the photos really do it justice.

musicispeace said:
Might be interesting to search youtube for any vids with all ebony necks or with all Pau Ferro since they would also be in a similar tonal neighborhood. I sort  of don't think an all ebony neck limits your pickup selection but see what others think and ultimately it has to all square with your ideas. I was an Ibanez player when I was first into the guitar years ago and had a couple humbucking Ibanez's that were great. When I started playing again and went the parts guitar route I became a strat player. I've gone with vintage style/output pickups and have no complaints. But my interest is blues music and those fit that well. Keep monitoring the forum and best to you in your project.
Thanks.  I actually do have a guitar with an all Pau Ferro neck, an RBM2NT (see attached).  But that's a mahogany body with a koa top so I would expect the that to balance out the neck somewhat.  That guitar also has an EMG 85 in the bridge, which is usually used as a neck pickup, so it's EQ'd a bit differently.  My concern with typical Strat pickups is that they're very treble-biased and could end up overly bright in this guitar.  I've been looking at a few hum cancelling DiMarzios that have more of a balanced EQ.
Bagman67 said:
Well, it's hard to stop at just one, so don't give up on that canarywood idea.  My green tele with the canary neck (black ebony fretboard) is hands-down my favorite axe.
That's also partially how I justified the neck.  I figured, "Well if I don't like it I'll just get the neck I intended and then build another guitar."  I mean, it's only money, right?
stratamania said:
Welcome and look forward to seeing the guitar come together.

That looks very nice. I can imagine it looks even better not in a photo. The purple strat linked in my signature has a quilted top and a Gotoh trem and none of the photos really do it justice.
I can tell even from the pictures, that is an incredible looking finish.  I'm sure that's a sweet guitar.

Attachments

• rbm2nt-16.jpg
    rbm2nt-16.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 500
Back