First build, keeping it simple?

nigeldcat

Been considering a Tele for my first build for a couple of years. Don't own a Tele now but really want one with a Soft V neck as have played a few soft V's at the store and really like those.  I am an electrical engineer, so the electronics don't scare me at all.  Also pretty mechanically inclined, so not scared of anything mechanical, as I built vacuum chamber stuff and test fixtures with lathes and milling machines when I did my dissertation many years ago. I have no desire to do the finishing, so plan on buying the body and neck finished.  Let the professionals at Warmoth do it as they have the experience, equipment and paint booth to do it right.

Although I love how cool the burst finishes look and have considered a chambered body, my gut says go with a basic solid alder body with solid finish (leaning daphne blue) and satin maple neck for first build.  No exotic woods or special finishes for the first attempt. I am pretty sure I won't screw up, but for the first build, my goal is "keep it simple stupid" just in case.  I will splurge for stainless frets and a Tusq nut as going for playability over looks for this build.  Also plan on locking tuners for easy string changes. 6 saddle bridge for easy setup of intonation and action.  The rest of the stuff I plan to buy based on preference.  Once I get this build under my belt, then I may go for the supermodel looks, but for now my plan is splurge on hardware over the finish and special woods.  Do you think this a good plan for first build? 

Honestly, if you're having WM do the finish and you've got the chops for the wiring and hardware installs, I don't see why you wouldn't just go all out, regardless of it being your first build or not.

If you were doing everything yourself from the ground up and have never done any dyeing or top-coating, I could see the hesitation and wanting to take it slow, but in my opinion, WM is doing the heavy lifting already with the routing and finishing work.  I say go all out, man.  You'll be left with some minimal drilling, the installation of the hardware, and wiring.  Maybe the toughest part will be aligning the retention pin holes for the tuners.

Build the guitar you want, not the guitar you think you should have for a first-time custom.  Go all the way.  Then for your second, go all the way again.  Go all the way all the time.  Don't half-ass it.  :toothy10:

Tele shape + locking tuners + hardtail bridge can be a good recipe for a neck heavy guitar if you pick a body that's overly light.

I learnt the hard way. I spec'd a custom Thinline Tele with maple neck (vintage construction) and Schaller locking tuners. It turned out horribly neck heavy. The body was 3.5lbs or less.
Lesson learnt.
If I were to do it again I'd pick a body that's at least 4-4.5lbs if using a hardtail with Schaller locking tuners.

If you're buying an unfinished body from the showcase and have it painted by Warmoth keep in mind the body will gain another 3-7 oz depending on the type of color used. Pearl/metallic finishes are thickest/heaviest.

As far as going all out or not on a first build, there are pros and cons to each.
If you go all out and end up not liking something (frets, neck profile, weight, etc...) it will be very expensive to sell it and start again.
Going with simpler wood combinations/finishes keeps cost down, allows you to get familiar with the assembly process (something goes wrong along the way more often than not) and not loose as much if you decide to then go all out on the 2nd build.

docteurseb said:
If you go all out and end up not liking something (frets, neck profile, weight, etc...) it will be very expensive to sell it and start again.
Going with simpler wood combinations/finishes keeps cost down, allows you to get familiar with the assembly process (something goes wrong along the way more often than not) and not loose as much if you decide to then go all out on the 2nd build.

This is the way I lean.

If you have no experience building guitars, and more importantly, knowing and choosing options that suit you, then going whole-hog on build #1 can sometimes lead to disappointment.

I believe the reason for this is that when people decide to go whole-hog they tend to avoid anything that is a common choice, e.g. "medium" or "standard" or "regular". Those choices don't sound "whole-hog" enough. Thing is, those are standards for a reason: they suit the biggest range of people. So right away you are avoiding the options most likely to work for you.

Furthermore, the side effects of a series of unusual options tend to snowball, and can result in unintended consequences. E.g. chambered Tele body + hardtail bridge + massive Boatneck + Brazilian Ebony shaftwood + locking tuners = neck heavy, and you hate the tone. To adjust the tone or the neck heaviness, what changes do you make on build #2? Neck profile? Brazilian Ebony? Chambered body? Hardtail? Locking tuners?

Much better IMO for most options on build #1 to fall in the "medium", "standard", or "regular" zone, with just a few outside choices that you are most sure about. You're more likely to have a positive outcome, that sounds and plays as expected. If there are issues, easier to identify what's causing it, and make adjustment on build #2.

IOW: if you aren't certain about your preference on a particular option, take the medium choice.

My $.02.

If you see this differently than me, I still like you, and want to be your friend. :)

My first warmoth was as basic as you can get:  no frills telecaster, with all items bought from the showcase.

It was a great guitar.  But it did not stay like I originally built it for long.  It went through several necks (all showcase) before I found a profile, width, and frets that I liked.  Did a bunch of bridge mods, changed tuners, and all kinds of stuff.  Once I got through that, I built, er, 9 more with all the super fancy options.  But that first one was basic.

My advice: go basic on the first one.

I'd say go crazy with the looks, but stay close to something that has proven itself tonewise.
That way looks and sound should come out pretty good.

I like simple. My guitars are beautiful but not exotic. They are comfortable and they sound the way I like.  Think of it as an instrument rather than a fancy coffee table.

Certainly you should keep it simple at first.  My first all Warmoth build was a swamp ash chambered body, maple neck with light flaming both from the show case.  Each time I build one, they get a little bit more MOAR.  When you get to build 4 or 5, you'll know what you want in that last guitar before you die.

Yo my dude, yes starting small is never a bad idea. dip ur big toe into that guitar-mod bathing water and see if it sends a jolt of happy electricty up your spine bones

Then one day, u too can become a immortal gawd

x8mZI8A.png

I suggest checking out the Board Member Polls.  Some of the polls are about preferences (neck shape, nut width, etc) and you can get some really good insight in planning your own build by getting a sense of what choices other people like and why. 

If you've not built before, there are several aspects of the process that involve the risk of nicking or scaring the guitar if their not done just so. So I would advise a simpler, less expensive finish for this one as it will be an experience building process. Wouldn't want that education to turn expensive on you........ :icon_thumright:

Back