First build, fender strat loaded pickgaurd grounding question?

Bogey

So I finally have all the components for my first build and just have one question regarding grounding for my Fender SSS loaded pickgaurd. There's three ground wires; one for the tremolo claw, one for the output jack, and one to be screwed onto your (shielded) control cavity.

For various reasons I was planning on not putting any shielding (paint or otherwise) in the pickup/control cavity. What is the best thing to do with the ground wire that is meant to be screwed into it? Should I still screw it into the bare wood or remove it completely?

Thanks!

either would work.  If it were me with a customers guitar I would insulate the end with some heatshrink and stow it out of the way in case they came back wanting shielding (those strats can be buzzy sometimes).

Mayfly said:
either would work.  If it were me with a customers guitar I would insulate the end with some heatshrink and stow it out of the way in case they came back wanting shielding (those strats can be buzzy sometimes).

That's a great idea, thank you.

So it looks like the middle pickup is dead… bridge and neck are working as expected. The wiring looks fine to me no obvious problems. When the middle pickup is selected and I touch a magnet there is no pop as expected, but there is some static while it is being touched.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot? I have a multi meter (but I’m not educated on how to use it).

Back