Firemist Gold Strat

benbenben

Hello!

My first time post. I've had the sudden need for a custom strat which I'm intended to build over this summer (it's summer down here in Australia). I'm REALLLY wanting a finish like this but have no background or experience with doing my own custom paint job, nor am i willing to cause i'll screw it up :)

http://www.12fret.com/usedSoldGallery/fenderStrat66gold193145.jpg

This is what i want to achieve.
I'm not sure which of the finishes provided by warmoth i should seek. They seem quite different, but it guess it might be the lighting.
I believe fender calls that finish 'firemist gold'.

The 'firemist gold' on the warmoth website seems a little more bronze than gold.
The 'gold top gold' seems quite orangey.
The 'flake gold' doesn't seem to be as rich in that 'gold' as i'd like.

Are any of the options what I'm looking for, or are the pictures on the website pretty good representations. I guess if anyone has natural shots of the items, that'd be very handy as well. Thanks guys

Ben

It's a difficult, if not impossible, question to answer. Everybodys monitor is going to color things a bit different. The link you posted points out another problem. On my monitor, the front looks like Goldtop Gold, and the back looks like Firemist Gold. Same guitar, same can of paint, but due to changes in angle, lighting, etc., they look completely different to me. I know that doesn't answer your question, so like you said, hopefully someone can chime in with something more concrete.

And welcome to the forum.

Rich

:eek:ccasion14:

Yeh definitely. I guess there's just so many factors to it. But i guess in both pics, i still see that 'goldness' to it. Whereas the firemist on the warmoth site didn't feel gold? When i first looked through the finishes on the site, i thoguht gold top gold was the one i wanted, only to realise fender calls that firemist gold. So i was confused when i saw firemist on the site.

G'day mate;  it's nice to welcome another fellow Aussie. Have a look through the gallery sections of this board and the official warmoth site. I don't know if you will find what you're after but it's probably the best place to look. I usually do my own finishes but FWIW I think Warmoth colours are usually pretty true to what they're supposed to be. i.e. "goldtop gold" looks like the gold on a gold top and firemist would look like a fender gold.......does that make sense?
Anyway welcome once again and , let's hope someone can find you a picture to help you nail the right colour. All the best  Willy :eek:ccasion14:

Try this place...

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/

Over the years, Clay's website has become the default destination for questions about vintage guitars, and for good reason. He has a very detailed article about Fender custom colors. Lots of pics of Gibson Goldtops, too. Great place to do some studying.

willyk said:
FWIW I think Warmoth colours are usually pretty true to what they're supposed to be. i.e. "goldtop gold" looks like the gold on a gold top and firemist would look like a fender gold.......does that make sense?
Anyway welcome once again and , let's hope someone can find you a picture to help you nail the right colour. All the best   Willy :eek:ccasion14:

I had email contact with someone at Warmoth regarding their "goldtop gold" and i was told that it didn't quite look like Gibson's.  It sure looks more orangy on their website.  The firemist doesn't look too far off the colour you're after.  I wouldn't stress out too much over the exact colour.  Which ever one you pick you'll end up with a sweet axe anyway.

Thanks sky digger!

Yeh i was thinking, either way, I'll still have a gold axe that sound sweet! Haha, if anyone else has more details, please share :)

Ben

Hey, Ben, on the Official site, in the gallery, there are a couple J-basses in the Firemist gold, with sort of different lighting, and also in the showcase there are some bodies with that finish as well.  To me, it looks a lot like what you are going for, but what was said before about the color differences on different monitors and such is so very true.  Sometimes I log on to the forum from work (slow days,  hee-hee)  and everything looks so different.  Anyway, as Skydigger has stated, it's going to kick butt either way!

Based on the site (and real-life viewings of Fender Firemist Gold and then some other golds), the way I see it is that the Firemist is more of a muted, reserved color. More earthy? The Goldtop gold seems to have a bit more yellow/amber to it, and is brighter.

I think they're both really nice. Some days the Firemist appeals to me, other days the Goldtop one does.

Another thing to do is to go the Showcase at Warmoth's site, click on the bodies and type in "gold" in the search field. You'll get a long list (with small thumbnail pics) of a bunch of bodies (fortunately for you, mostly Strats!) in the two style. While there are differences among them all in lighting and so forth, you can still very clearly see the differences between the Firemist and Goldtop families.

Hey, I feel your pain (I can't believe I just said that... :icon_tongue: ). I recently tried to do the same thing, asking for some "real life" pics or help with the description of Warmoth's Apricot Flake finish...tough to get a good idea from the site, as the pics in the paint section and Showcase differ, and there were no customer gallery pics to go by, etc.

i remember posting about the differences between gibson gold tops and those from warmoth. i believe it was CB who said that because gibsons are finished in nitro, the actual tint of the gold changes over time, resulting in the many hues that you see between different guitars. since warmoth doesn't use nitro, their colors will be slightly different. try going with candy yellow. it looked like the closest thing to real gold top gold.

Back