finishing fingerboard ?

Ang3lus

I have a question, I have an unfinished maple/ebony neck (though i did finish the maple evantually with oil). and sanded between layers, the feel is really smooth, and the neck feels stiff now which I kinda like (thought raw was good, but this is really nice too, and protected).
my fingerboard feels raw, should i apply some layers of oil to that as well ?
and sand inbetween ?

I oiled the board the first time yesterday
it feels less twiggy now.
it only takes as much as it needs i guess, cause there was some left of it and even after a few more hours the same amount was still on it

Uh, if you aren't going to read the replies, why ask the question in the first place?

i was answering blue313

i used Fretdoctor from www.beafifer.com

it's not a finishing oil, it's just fingerboard oil.

I read jack's reply and didn't use a finishing oil.

Ang3lus said:
it only takes as much as it needs i guess, cause there was some left of it and even after a few more hours the same amount was still on it

Ebony is very dense and has a high oil content, you should wipe that extra off. I never heard of anyone trying to finish an ebony fretboard, not sure how well any finishing materials would stick to it anyway.

jackthehack said:
Ang3lus said:

Ebony is very dense and has a high oil content, you should wipe that extra off. I never heard of anyone trying to finish an ebony fretboard, not sure how well any finishing materials would stick to it anyway.

I did, it's just when i got it it was very hard and felt very rigid and "heavy" so i use what i use to oil dry fingerboards.
now it feels fine.

Speaking of oil and ebony, I use a lil' Formby's lemon oil to clean and maintain my ebony fretboards in between string changes.

Back