Finished or unfinished?

griffinmyers

Hey everyone,

Im getting the peices together for my first warmoth and had a question. The body I'm looking at is as follows:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=bp604&Body=2&Path=Body

This is what I would like at the end of the day. However, it clocks in at $420

The same, unfinished body however runs $185:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=B1549&Body=2&Path=Body

I'm wondering why it costs over 200 dollars to get a clear satin finish on the body. Is it worth doing myself to save the money? Anyone have some input?

Well, the finished one is a one piece body, not two, so thats a little bit more expensive. You could get the unfinished one, then have them do a clear finish and it would probally cost less. Or if you think you can do it, you could get the unfinished one and do the finish. Thing is, warmoth is absolute pro quality, and if you can afford it, I would do that.

rapfohl09 said:
Well, the finished one is a one piece body, not two, so thats a little bit more expensive. You could get the unfinished one, then have them do a clear finish and it would probally cost less. Or if you think you can do it, you could get the unfinished one and do the finish. Thing is, warmoth is absolute pro quality, and if you can afford it, I would do that.
It would be $355 for that unfinished body + clear. So that's a little cheaper. The clear finish, satin or gloss is $170...

Their clear gloss finish is really a top-quality job. As others have said, the 1-piece body is why the finished showcase piece is more expensive. If that's what you want at the end of the day (save for the 1-piece body), then have Warmoth finish a body for you. Unless you have a bit of experience, you will not get the quality of finish that they will. Not to say that you wouldn't necessarily be pleased with what you could do yourself, but just know that it'll likely be a little less glassy and a little more lumpy, orange-peely, or generally not as professional.  :)

You can do a clear finish for substantially less than $200.

However, if you have never done any finishing you will need a fair bit of supplies grain filler, sealer, topcoat, various grades of sandpaper (surprisingly expensive stuff), polish and a polishing pad or buffing wheel.

No, that's not remotely $200, but it is a fairly significant investment.  And not just money, but also time - a good finish takes a fair amount of shop time and a fair amount of 'waiting between steps' time.  And there is always the possibility you will botch the job and need to strip it and re-try.

If you foresee doing more than one then I say go for it, but first get a beater from a pawn shop or eBay and do a practice run before moving on to any type of 'keeper' project.

If you do not plan to do more then bite the bullet and pay the pros to get it right the first time.

Do it your self in either nitro of poly.  You will spend about $20 in materials and the satifaction level is HUGE!  Most can obtain a super smooth finish if the time is taken.

If you are worried about it being FLAWLESS...have warmoth do it.  Here is close up of my 1st attempt at a gloss poly....MINWAX spray poly....SIMPLE!

Back