Finished my second Tele...this is getting addictive.

rambleon

I completed my very first build in January this year and this one's my second. I decided to go a more traditional route this time.
I've had a good amount of playing time since I finished it late on Thursday night and I'm super pleased wth this guitar. I haven't been able to weigh it but it's the lightest one I own by far. I decided to complement the finish with aged hardware- some by me and some bought pre-aged.
A quick summary of the parts-
Warmoth Swamp Ash body finished with Wudtone dairy blonde.
Warmoth maple neck satin nitro finish, 9.5" radius, 1-5/8" tusq nut.
Kluson tuners, aged with some sandpaper.
Gotoh aged bridge with compensated brass saddles
Pickups - Custom wound by Buddha Pickups, both alnico 2. 6.9k neck, 8.1k bridge. These pickups sound really good - articulate, with a little chime. The neck has a good warm tone, and the bridge has the tele tone without sounding too harsh. They both sound great clean and with dirt. Tim was also kind enough to send my a nicely scuffed neck pickup to match the other aged hardware.
Harness - also by Buddha Pickups, good quality parts with neat & clean wiring.
I also got an ashtray cover for kicks and scuffed it up a little. I like the way it looks but doubt I'll be able to keep it on while playing because it doesn't let me mute the strings when I need to at the bridge.

govFPqD.jpg

YSMxiyU.jpg

8wVwcSH.jpg

VQk0BYK.jpg

kmWB3Vh.jpg

S1sbKds.jpg

8NFz5Lv.jpg

Very nice. But you need to replace the straplock. It ruins the aged part  :icon_thumright:
Just kidding. You only need to hide it with a well worn leather strap.

I haven't placed my first order yet, and I'm worried I might fall prey to the addiction when I finally do.

Well, in that case ... I can't think of a better addiction

:guitarplayer2: :party07:

Exquisite! I really like the visible grain texture in the finish, did you go out of your way to do that or is it just a characteristic of that finish?

Thanks guys. I forgot to resize the pics for this website, will do that soon so you're not subject to the jumbo sized pics.

Verne Bunsen said:
Exquisite! I really like the visible grain texture in the finish, did you go out of your way to do that or is it just a characteristic of that finish?

That's a trait of the Wudtone finishes. You should check out their website. They're on the more pricey side for oil based stains but it's well worth the cost i think. Definitely going to use their stuff again.

Damn nice looking!

Makes one want more guitars than one really needs.  :glasses10:

I know what you mean, I've got a bad habit (well, expensive habit anyway) started myself!

Glimmer said:
Makes one want more guitars than one really needs.  :glasses10:

By my understanding of the math, the number of guitars that one really needs can be expressed by the equation "X+1", where "X" = the number of guitars that one currently owns....

A few more daylight pics to give you guys a better idea of the color. I really want to build + finish another tele in wudtone's faded fiesta red, but that'll have to wait for a while.

Wo3KyQp.jpg

l5SjQeI.jpg

pid6eXo.jpg

Sid Nitzerglobin said:
Looks great!

Are the control plate and knobs the aged Gotoh stuff as well?
The control plate was from All Parts, easy to find on ebay. The knobs were just a one-off thing from some guy selling them on ebay. I really like the knobs but can't seem to find any more like these. I wanted to buy a few extra since they were inexpensive and look good enough for future use.

rambleon said:
Sid Nitzerglobin said:
Looks great!

Are the control plate and knobs the aged Gotoh stuff as well?
The control plate was from All Parts, easy to find on ebay. The knobs were just a one-off thing from some guy selling them on ebay. I really like the knobs but can't seem to find any more like these. I wanted to buy a few extra since they were inexpensive and look good enough for future use.
Ahh, cool.  I'd seen that Allparts was selling aged stuff but hadn't seen any decent pics.

Back