Finish for new Maple Neck

disaster

Hi.  I just ordered a new strat Maple neck w/ Maple fingerboard.  It'll be unfinished since I don't want the fingerboard sprayed with lacquer.  The sales crew at Warmoth recommed TruOil for the fingerboard.  So I'll give that a go.  What do you pros recommend for the back of the neck?  I want a satin finish.  No Nitro please.  I also have another maple neck to refinish at the same time.  I plan to finish both necks with the same satin finish.

Thanks.

You can oil the entire neck. Think about it, if TruOil is good enough for the fingerboard, its good enough for the back of the neck. The fingerboard sees much more wear anyways. If you still find it sticky, just hit it with some steel wool. With the neck off, you don't want metal shavings in your pickups.

One caveat is that your neck will be more susceptible to dents than a poly finish by Warmoth.

It's not a durability issue.  I think he just wanted a satin finish for the back.  Some all maple EBMM necks have tru-oil on the back of the neck and fretboard and a different finish on the headstock.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It's not a durability issue.  I think he just wanted a satin finish for the back.  Some all maple EBMM necks have tru-oil on the back of the neck and fretboard and a different finish on the headstock.

Oh I know it isn't, I was just pointing it out in terms of wear and tear issues. Personally, I'm a big fan of poly finishes for this fact. If he does decide to use oil on the entire neck, i just suggest some steel wool, if he still doesn't like the feel of that, just hit the neck with some burlap (odd enough as it sounds)

Back