Figured Walnut with Transparent Red finish -- should I go for it or not?

Mapleg4

My black G4 is still in the shop and I'm planning the next one. I like dark, almost black finishes and I was thinking about doing a G4 with a Maple body (my black one is also Maple, hence my username) and a figured Walnut top finished in Transparent red. I know that Walnut is a very dark wood and that the result would be almost black. I have been thinking of Black Korina, if I could get a very "dark" Korina wood, like some G4's in The Showcase. What do you guys think, Figured Walnut or a dark piece of Black Korina?

Personally, it seems a bit of a waste to bury a nice piece of figured walnut beneath a deep trans red.

nathan a said:
Personally, it seems a bit of a waste to bury a nice piece of figured walnut beneath a deep trans red.

I argree, I've decided to go with Black Korina instead. Does anyone know what a Black Korina Top would cost on a G4? Can it be done on a Maple body?
I did a little test in Photoshop to see how it would look:
korinabass.jpg

I'd like the Black Korina as dark as possible, like this one:
B987A.jpg

I know you're already changed your mind, but I'll just chime in that my walnut body was pretty seriously brown / dark before I did anything, and I'm not sure if red would even take. So good that you're abandoning the red walnut idea. Korina sounds like a great idea.

jackthehack said:
Technically it could, but why not just go all Korina?

I'm definetly going for all Korina, doesn't it have a more Mahogany type of tone than a Maple tone?

Just found this Transparent Red Maple body in the Showcase.
BP389A.jpg

Maybe I'll just go for something like this only with a black burstover on the edges, and with black sides and back.

Yeah, but burl maple shall be clear finish! Or a big bad man with a electric-saw will follow you!  :laughing7:

There are some Tele bodies in the showcase with burst finishes. Even  :tard: :tard: :eek: :eek: top routed...

New idea....  :icon_scratch: Birdseye Maple.
Does anyone know how much you have to pay totally for an $185 Maple body with a Birdseye Maple top?

Birdseye is no "extra cost" wood...
But the plus A of it is more expensive...
Woulde be $230 if I'm not wrong

Mapleg4 said:
New idea....  :icon_scratch: Birdseye Maple.
Does anyone know how much you have to pay totally for an $185 Maple body with a Birdseye Maple top?

I can recommend that!!! I fell in love with my birdseye maple/alder strat from the first moment I saw it in the showcase... :icon_smile:
looks great with a trans brown finish

Back