Figured redwood tele

You're lucky I didn't see that one, I grew up amongst redwoods, I have a thing for them.  Looks like you already chose your neck, but here are my examples if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9403.JPG
    IMG_9403.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_9404.JPG
    IMG_9404.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_9405.JPG
    IMG_9405.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 323
Those are three lovely slabs of redwood, sir.  The flesh of giants reduced to musical instrument form!  Glorious!

Yes, those are spectacular too. I really like the crazy grain in the first and third. Amazing

Y'know - if they just need setup, it doesn't take that long. It's things like fretting and finishing that tend to eat up time.

Cagey said:
Y'know - if they just need setup, it doesn't take that long. It's things like fretting and finishing that tend to eat up time.

All are going from nitro to poly.  I'm not finicky when it comes to dents and scratches, but redwood is ridiculously fragile and I've had enough of it.  Only poly on my redwood from now on

Poly is more durable than lacquer, but I'm not sure there's much you can do when the substrate is as soft as Redwood (or Basswood).

Wolfie351 said:
You're lucky I didn't see that one, I grew up amongst redwoods, I have a thing for them.  Looks like you already chose your neck, but here are my examples if that helps.

Glad to have gotten there first. :)

It must be pretty rare stuff, or impractically difficult to work with. For as beautiful as it is, you'd think you'd see a lot more of it, but you don't. Pieces like yours rarely show up, not just on guitars but on anything else.

I think the vast bulk of redwood is earmarked for construction (decking in particular) because unlike many softwoods, it resists rot remarkably well.  Plus it's not as heavily harvested as it once was due to overlogging.  Some remaining old-growth stands are in protected territory.  It's not even remotely as bad as koa, but a huge number of old-growth trees have been harvested and replaced by faster-growing fir and spruce species, and so it's more pricey and more rare than it formerly was in the market. 

Makes sense. But, if it's over-harvested, it seems like decking and outdoor furniture is almost a frivolous use of it. I understand its advantages, but that hardly seems like justification if the supply is thinning. But, maybe there's not much else it's good for.

Used to be you could get enormous dimensions of usable timber out of redwood.  Like, 16"x16" beams, or larger.  I mean,  you still can, but there are manufactured products that are cheaper, so it's often riftsawn into standard timber sizes for construction.  Redwood's very stable wood for stickframe construction, but Douglas Fir is preferred for mass-produced housing (apartments and tract homes) because it's so much cheaper.  Further, long runs of straight grain are suited to applications where the wood will be seen, and tucked inside of walls ain't it.  It's used for decking because it requires no treatment, so the cost of labor and chemicals and pressure treating other timbers require is not a cost input for redwood, plus it weathers to a silvery gray many folks find attractive.

And that's about all I can claim to know about redwood.  Except that a comparatively microscopic market exists for acoustic guitar tops, and an even more teensie-weensie market exists for electric guitar tops.

Redwood was used widely for framing and general construction back in the 1800's because of the resistance to bug infestation, rot and such. We got to appraise the oldest home in San Juan Bautista a while back. It was built spanning redwood logs as the foundation. They were cut in Watsonville and taken some 20+ miles to there by horse team. They dragged the logs halfway, flipped them over and dragged them the rest of the way. When they got to the building site, the logs were ground off flat top and bottom and used as is for the foundation timbers.

The back of the redwood singlecut I uploaded came from the Brown's Canyon Trestle which was built in the late 1800s and salvaged in the mid 1900s to build a shopping center in San Jose which was then torn down in 2004 and the wood salvaged again.  Fender, Charvel and others got their hands on lumber to make guitars and I was lucky enough to secure a body blank myself.  It was especially dear to me because I frequented that shopping center often growing up.  I got plenty of haircuts there and also bought my first suit!  How metal is that?!?!  I really wanted a carve top so I found a bookmatched set of curly redwood thick enough to make a top.  Looks great, sounds meh. 

Had it’s first gig last night. Was a big hit. Really glows under the lights. The mojotone hotrods do not disappoint. Each guitar is a better than the last and I might claim to have a faint idea of what I’m doing. The black limbs build coming next should be even better.

That is one stellar tele, the top is incredible and the back is just as spectacular... :icon_thumright:

Thanks. This is hands down my best playing guitar yet. The vintage saddles intonated with no issues. I’m not the greatest string bender but it’s easy on this one. Well worth the expense ....as my most expensive build by a wide margin.

I’ve done some guitars for other people but haven’t sold one of mine. A friend borrowed this Tele for a gig. Now he is offering a very attractive amount of cash...how do you let one go?

You go take a look at the showcase and scheme what you'll do with that sweet, sweet cash.  IN short, you plan another build.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is the start of the next from the fruits of the last.

..Flamey. Boatneck with SS 6230.

L1FCGyd.jpg

sIacXzK.jpg

Back