Fender Hardtail Body

SnakeGS

OK so I am looking for a hardtail fender body for a build I am slowly working on but sleazebay only has a few and I am searching for a specific color. Any ideas were I can pick one up, also is sticking a real fender neck on a warmoth body killing the fact that it isnt a true fender build? I have heard of guys do this because they would rather have the warmoth body over what fender makes any day, and just stuck the fender neck on it. If I wanted to sell it later would that kill the re sell by having a warmoth body with a fender neck?

I would say you'd be equal to or better off than a Fender body if you got a 1 piece body, or maybe a lightweight piece. It really depends on what the Fender neck and hardware would be. If it was a Warmoth body with all Mexican Fender hardware and neck then you'd probably increase the value. Maybe true for a standard USA model too, but anything much above that the value might go down. Anything more expensive than a USA standard and people will probably want the guitar to be all original. Just my thoughts, somebody else may tell you the value would be lowered if it's not a Fender body, no matter what.

seems dumb to worry about resale value.  any W part will be superior to nearly anything you'll find on the bay or elsewhere.

Well I think the re-sale is going to be killed by you doing some mix and matching. I think the only way people pay top dollar is if its completely original. Basically the way i see it is that if you are spending money on a guitar and thinking about re-sale value, you probally shouldn't be spending money on the guitar.

So I guess in short, I would go the Warmoth route.

To be honest anyone that goes the  warmoth route thinking about resale value is pretty darn stupid,
and i think full warmoth builds should be few and far between and ones you would never sell for anything. Much more sentimental value that dollar value.
Sure people that buy from warmoth to replace broken fender bodys or necks would worry about the resale value  i guess.
AutoBat said:
seems dumb to worry about resale value.  any W part will be superior to nearly anything you'll find on the bay or elsewhere.
+ 1

well not to say I am going to build it and bam sell it, but in case something comes up down the road and I needed to sell it was what I was going after, better to ask now than a few years down the road to find out that it isn't worth a whole heap. I do not own Warmoth anything but I have heard many stories that it is far better than Fender, now this may or may not be true but it is what I have heard so. The reason I would choose the Warmoth body is because it is one piece and I can customize it to how I want it and know the quality is going to be there. I just have a real fender neck I was going to put on the body just curious to know your thoughts, as to the waaaaaay later possible resale if I had to get rid of it.

Everyone out there knows what "Fender" means, but lots of people (most?) have never heard of Warmoth and don't know the difference between Warmoth quality from cheap bargain basement parts.

Also, many people would be wary of a "parts" instrument since they don't know anything about the competence of the person who built it, and a custom guitar also may not have custom features desirable to everyone.

Therefore resale value is not going to be equal to a factory built Fender, even if your guitar is of much higher quality. And value will never go up over time like a US made Fender might.

It seems many people sell their parts guitars as parts for this reason. Just take a look at what Warmoth bodies sell for on the 'bay to get an idea.

But if you're not intending to resell anytime soon, you can get more or less exactly what you want and will enjoy it immensely. There's value in that, even if you lose a portion of your investment down the road.

I don't get why anyone thinks about "resale value" of a guitar unless it is a collector's item.  I buy (or build) guitars to play and keep. I'd sell a guitar only if I didn't like it, which is most likely going to be at a loss from the original purchase price. If you haven't bonded with the guitar, and think you may want to sell it, you shouldn't spend any money on it other than the minimum required to keep it playable.

In any case, no one builds a Warmoth for "resale value". They do it for the purpose of getting more for their money, the ability to choose from a wide variety of custom features, and for the satisfaction of personally assembling and/or finishing it.

Come on guys lol, this thread was not to ask specifically about resale. I am building the dang guitar for me to keep, I was just curious to know IF I EVER NEEDED TO SELL IT for whatever reason, how would the W body with the fender neck do. Am I going to sell it... no not in the next 5 to 10 years, but things can happen which is why I ask. Plus my question is not about resale it was sticking the Fender neck on the Warmoth body. Beings W is licensed by fender and that is the only part that will be non fender in a sense, wanted to really know if there were bodies painted already that were slightly used, wre to find those, and also how tight Fender necks would fit with the W body, so can we get over the resale thing lol it was just a simple question about something that will probably never happen but in case it does I wanted to know what a 90% build would go for.

SnakeGS said:
Come on guys lol, this thread was not to ask specifically about resale. I am building the dang guitar for me to keep, I was just curious to know IF I EVER NEEDED TO SELL IT for whatever reason, how would the W body with the fender neck do. Am I going to sell it... no not in the next 5 to 10 years, but things can happen which is why I ask. Plus my question is not about resale it was sticking the Fender neck on the Warmoth body. Beings W is licensed by fender and that is the only part that will be non fender in a sense, wanted to really know if there were bodies painted already that were slightly used, wre to find those, and also how tight Fender necks would fit with the W body, so can we get over the resale thing lol it was just a simple question about something that will probably never happen but in case it does I wanted to know what a 90% build would go for.
Not a dumb question at all, you're spending hard earned money and want to make the best of it. However you're painting yourself into a corner looking for a specific color when you should be looking to build a good guitar.
Warmoth has a few unfinished hardtail bodies on sale for $155.00 plus ship. You can also find new painted Warmoth showcase bodies on sale often. You should be able to find a hardtail body on eBay. As for selling an instrument now or next year? It all depends on condition, component quality and how it plays and sounds.  You did not mention what Fender neck you have…makes a difference. Let’s say you have a SRV Fender Neck then you might need a SRV Fender body, etc. If you have a MIM neck it doesn’t matter much what body you have as long as it’s a step above a MIM body. If you do opt for a MIM body get a clear one so you can see what you’re getting. The painted ones sometimes consist of  numerous blocks of wood. One other bit of advice, assembling a guitar and getting it right sometimes takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears, so you might want to take your overall time, expense and what you can sell your neck for and compare it all to a new or like new Stratocaster with case, etc. Nice body below...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warmoth-BODY-Strat-Hardtail-ASH-Maple-Top-CLEAN-/170608198208?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27b90a8240

Back