Fender Custom Shop Fat '50s and 69's

BigLeroy

I've been thinking long and hard about the pickups I should put in my stratocaster..  :dontknow:

I have been really starting to dig the Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's, but I also have come to love the sound one can get from the neck pickup of the Custom Shop '69s  ???

So.. How do you guys think it would sound to have a Fat 50's in both the bridge and middle position, and have a '69 in the neck? Would they compliment one another, or just ruin each other?  :help:

In my experience, you won't know unless you try it. The exact same pickups will sound different in different guitars, even if the guitars appear to be exactly the same. It's sort of a crap shoot. You can go by general descriptions, but that's as far as you can go. And I wouldn't depend on the manufacturer's descriptions too heavily. Pick any model, and they'll tell you it's good for classic rock, rock, blues, country, jazz, metal and two or three others I can't remember. In other words, all pickups are good for everything.

Haha yeah, I have noticed that they tend to do that.

Anyways, true. It's definitely worth a try. Hopefully something great will come out of it!

I've been thinking about doing this exact thing. I have two guitars with Fat 50's and they both sound very different. One is VERY fat and almost too fat when paired with a mid-scooped OD that I have. I have an extra set of CS69's laying around and I've thought about dropping one in the neck of the really fat guitar to see what happens.

If you do it, let me know how it works out!  :icon_thumright:

I did the switch today. I didn't get to spend much time playing today, but my first impressions are very positive. I'll have more time tomorrow to get familiar with it.

Back