Fender Bushings

deepblue

Guys...
Thanks so much for all the tips this far.
I have one more request.

How do you push the bushings into the holes? I'm using Fender vintage bushings & tuners.

deepblue said:
tfarny said:
Push them in.

Too tight. I do'nt want to split the wood or cause damage. I have a feeling i'll have to do a slight ream job.

Yeah, if the neck is finished, you may have to ream the holes slightly.  I'm an impatient dewd and would just apply force with a block of wood and a mallet, however.

-Mark

Sounds like you need to open the holes - either with a drill bit between your fingers, or sandpaper around a pencil. :icon_smile:

You might also consider the ferrule method - heat them with a soldering gun to soften them up, then push them in using pliers or a screwdriver. Don't burn yourself!

I suggest a reamer but am careful not to go to far or they will not be tight enough.  I got mine at Orchard.
I also put a little soap from a soap bar on them to act as a lubricant.
IMG_0137-1.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

tfarny said:
You might also consider the ferrule method - heat them with a soldering gun to soften them up, then push them in using pliers or a screwdriver. Don't burn yourself!
Or go the other way and stick them in the freezer for a few hours.

Someplace here... I put a picture of how I do it.  No StewMac tool needed....

Just get a couple of fender washers (no pun!) and a 1/4-20 nut and bolt, and get a nice rubber washer too.  The rubber one is either in hardware or plumbing at the big box stores.  Make sure your bolt is about 2 inches or so long.

The pecking order is as follows -

Put the big fender washer on the bolt, put the bushing on the bolt, put the bolt thru the hole.  Now put the rubber washer on the bolt and another fender washer on it.  Now put the nut on it.  Tighten till the bushing is seated.  Undo the nut and bolt.  There's a "screw press" that cost you maybe nothing if you got hardware laying about, or a few dollars and the agony of finding a rubber washer at Home Depot if ya dont.

You guys are good!

I put sandpaper on a dowel and worked it, then gently squeezed them with (padded) channel locks.

I really appreciate the tips fellas.

I used =CB='s screw press method on both of my Warmoth's, and I still have it laying around here for my third, fourth, fifth and twentieth.

big bob said:
stewmac sells a bushing press, looks cool
0460_1sm.jpg
I have one of those.  It does the job, but it's pricey if you don't plan on doing a lot of them.  I especially like it for removing.

What CB said.  Here's a picture of what I used for my Jazz Bass.  I used the nylon washer on the bushing side and the rubber washer on the back of the headstock.

Back