Fender American, Wilkinson or Floyd?

Ace Flibble

After much um-ing and ah-ing, I'm almost entirely settled on my next Warmoth. Can't decide which bridge to go for though!

My gut feeling is to go with a non-recessed Schaller Floyd Rose since tuning stability is very important to me and though I don't do Van Halen whammy wankage, there is the occasional time where I like to go for a full dive. I've never installed a Floyd though. I can set 'em up fine and I don't use alternative tunings so that's no issue, but is the initial installation much of a pain to do? I'm also a little confused as to why Warmoth do two different recessed Floyd routings for the Original and Schaller versions, but only one non-recessed routing. I assume when it's non-recessed it doesn't matter if it's an Original or Schaller then?

Or if that is a pain to install, then I'm tossing up between the Fender American Standard and the Gotoh Wilkinson. I already know what to expect with the Fender, what advantages (or disadvantages) does the Wilkinson have over it?

A Floyd is easy to install, but when it comes to setting it up, I found it tedious and frustrating (though maybe because it was my first time setting up a Floyd). Once you have you have it set up, and don't go and do some crazy tunings, It's Awesome!  :icon_biggrin:

And Van Halen whammy wankage = the best line ever!  :laughing3:

(Quote) I'm also a little confused as to why Warmoth do two different recessed Floyd routings for the Original and Schaller versions, but only one non-recessed routing. I assume when it's non-recessed it doesn't matter if it's an Original or Schaller then?

The difference is due to the longer locking bolts sticking out the back on the original type...much shorter on the Floyd II.

Funky Phil said:
(Quote) I'm also a little confused as to why Warmoth do two different recessed Floyd routings for the Original and Schaller versions, but only one non-recessed routing. I assume when it's non-recessed it doesn't matter if it's an Original or Schaller then?

The difference is due to the longer locking bolts sticking out the back on the original type...much shorter on the Floyd II.
Er, yes, I think that is correct. Sometimes the baseplate's are also different shapes, like the speed loader and fast loader trem, but the saddle bolts one a Schaller and an original do vary.

Definitely Floyd.  I have all three trems and I use my Floyd-loaded guitars 99% of the time.

I really like Wilkies, when not wobbly! I do have a bunch of Floyded guitars and love them!
and I love to wank both up and down, so recessed routing all de way!

Funky Phil said:
How about a Floyd and a Tremol-no?
Seems kind of pointless when I'd be going for non-recessed anyway and it doesn't help during the first installation which is what my concern was.

But looks like popular consensus is for the Floyd, so Floyd it is then! Thanks people.

Back