Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Plus!!! HOLY $#!%

line6man said:
There are only a finite number of things that you can do with three humbuckers, three pots and a five position switch, and the video says that the system is passive, so really, the only options you have are special passive filters, coil splits, and phase switching.

The thing is, almost every player goes through a phase of wanting a million different switching options, thinking it will be the best thing since sliced bread. At that point, they do their mods and experiment with things, and then come to find that there isn't much practical value to all of it. When you have 200 options, and 97 of them sound the same, 53 are useless, and 38 will never be used, you get a dozen sounds, and you won't even use all of them regularly. The vast majority of players end up settling down with just a couple of coil split switches and perhaps a phase switch. Most of the few that do find use for complicated switching schemes end up wanting to mod and tinker, anyway. So what you are left with is a very small market of people that buy into this stuff.

Then again, there are a lot of kids with rich parents that might see this and think it's the coolest thing since the last thing that was the coolest thing since sliced bread. There could be a market.  :dontknow:

(For the record, I'm not a traditionalist. I'm just more concerned with the practical value of things.)

Haha, yeah I know. Which is also why this thing will fail because... You'll probably only end up using one card anyway because you like it the most.

It's like my Peavey Vypyr amp I use for some preprods and stuff at home; there's a million types of amps and effects but I only really use one of the distortion sounds and one clean sound...

I'm not convinced that the idea is for you to constantly swap cards. I think the intention might be to simply find the card you like best and stick with it, only changing occasionally.

I'm also not convinced "what if you lose the card" is a unique argument against this specific technology. I mean, what if you lose your cable? Well, someone else might have one - sure, but what if they don't? We could keep going all day on that. What if you break a string? You should have spares! Well, that's ridiculous, I don't want to carry spare strings around all the time! And so on.

The default attitude of guitarists to new technologies is to think of as many problems with it as possible. Yeah, we're all such rock and roll rebels, that's why we completely refuse to do anything that wasn't standard practice in the 50s.

Jumble Jumble said:
The default attitude of guitarists to new technologies is to think of as many problems with it as possible. Yeah, we're all such rock and roll rebels, that's why we completely refuse to do anything that wasn't standard practice in the 50s.

True enough. It's almost like bitching about underwear. "What if I pee my pants?" Well, what did you do before? Was pissing your pants an issue? The problems are always the same. Sometimes, things fail. Sometimes, you have to adjust. Sometimes, circumstances change. What did you do when you bought an AC30 to replace your Fender Twin? Did the world end?

Guitar players are some of the biggest babies you'll ever meet, short of singers. People like to make fun of bass players and drummers, but you ain't met weird until you sit down with a guitar player and a couple beers. They're secret weird.

Ddbltrbl said:
Great Ape said:
Not to mention gettin' HOOKED-UP to one!!

My mind is going wild trying to decide what past experience is behind that comment!  :evil4: Did it make you dance?  :cool01:  :toothy12:
Oh, c'mon, I'm a white guy--Nuthin' can make me dance!

Great Ape said:
Oh, c'mon, I'm a white guy--Nuthin' can make me dance!

Hehe! Yeah, that's me, too. I'd rather take a beating than get on the dance floor.

1620414_10151972298163925_778408724_n.jpg

Nah, then you'd end up with something like the variax.

I played a variax at NAMM. Turning a knob to instantly select a tuning was a lot of fun, but the latency was awful, much worse than I expected.

Well, there was no sign of this at NAMM this year. I guess the flooding of the internet with negative comments by people who had never tried it worked.

I'm all for moving forward, I don't think I'd ever go for soldrless pickups though, mainly due to the fact that once I find a set of pickups I like, and their probably going to be the standard wiring, I stick with them for a long time. Plus it would cut into the whole breathing burning solder and flux sniffing that one does.

Back