Fender 2-point tremolo insert depth

mjlee

Hello - I just received a Strat body and had the inserts from a Fender 2-point tremolo installed. (Not by Warmoth.) The inserts are not flush to the body, they rise slightly above the body, about half a millimeter. Is this okay? I thought the plate is supposed to pivot on the wood, but in this case, it seems it will pivot on the metal inserts, causing problems. But I may be wrong....

mjlee said:
I thought the plate is supposed to pivot on the wood, but in this case, it seems it will pivot on the metal inserts, causing problems. But I may be wrong....

The plate pivots in the groove at the top of the bolts that screw into the bushings.  The pivot point of the trem should not touch the the wood nor the bushing

41cZwritFgL._AC_UL474_SR474,450_.jpg

tH4gluCUROOVaITONERwRb_zkmBqlddmd20W5iDFWTtg6NyEBh6FRG24vBr0qNzOqrr8WwrCrGBp4GPRWbm-UfecI6wWRxH58vLP-FLgA6DgWwgJxeWISjlMkllynPi7trY

The bushing should be flush, and it probably can be pressed flush, but depending on the trem height, it might not need to be flush, I don't think 0.5 mm should make a difference.

It looks like with the trem at rest position, the bevel of the bridge plate knife edge is very, very close to touching the top of the bushing. A thin piece of paper just slides between... I think too close for comfort. I'm guessing things shift around a little in time, especially with a new body, so best to have the bushing hammered in flush.

Back