Feedback on my first build idea/BOM -

sarnicus7

Hi Everyone!
I've been eyeballing making a warmoth for months now and I finally sold my other guitar so it's about time to make one! My first custom instrument in general as well!
I have the main pieces picked out, but I'm wondering whether you guys could give me feed back on the design as a whole and help me fill in some blanks or help me notice somethings that I didn't.
Design was inspired by my love for the tone of my last guitar (PRS Mark Holcomb), and my recent acquired love for the tone of the Jazzmaster!
I sold my PRS because I hated the neck. I loved the tone of the first jazzmaster I picked up, but I hated all the necks of the different variants I played, and I wanted a fast neck for my next guitar.
Here's the specs:

Mahogany Jazzmaster Body with flamed maple top

Roasted Maple neck - Hopefully a matching headstock finish but I don't know how much that costs - one of the questions I was hoping for you guys to help answer. Also wondering about the construction - Modern or Modern Vintage? I don't set up my own guitars but I am concerned that if I bring the modern construction neck to a guitar tech to set up, they might up charge me for having to fully take the neck out to adjust it. I know there's also the side adjustment on the neck. Any insight into the reliability/convenience of this would be greatly appreciated!

Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega Pickups (the ones from my PRS)

Gotoh Hardtail Bridge - does that fit for the Fender American Strat Flat Mount option? It looks like I might need to do some drilling for the bridge.

Gotoh Magnum Lock-trad tuners

Attachments

• Body.png
    Body.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 14
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11
If you want a matching headstock you need to have a finish on the neck - also to get a match you would need a flame maple veneer to match the body.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-headstock-veneers
https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-finishes

The upcharges for that work will vary and you need to contact Warmoth Sales. If you do go for a finish I would recommend a satin finish for the neck with a matching gloss headstock if the body is gloss.

One thing to bear in mind is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a finish on a roasted maple neck but many prefer to not use a finish on roasted maple.

Modern or Vintage Modern Construction.

The Modern construction provides for a very stable neck - I have personally never had to remove one to make adjustments. If the side adjust is used correctly it works very well.

Vintage Modern - Headstock adjustment - of these constructions that I have I also like them and find them stable (this may vary depending on where people are).

Bridges

Which Gotoh Hardtail Bridge? There are several...

- advise - get a bridge and rout that go together don't create a headache for yourself.

Better to get a narrow spaced as vintage spaced will mean your E-e strings are closer to the edge of the fingerboard and most do not prefer that.

https://warmoth.com/index.php/hardware/guitar-bridges/fixed-bridges/flat-mount-bridges/narrow-spaced-strat-flat-mount-bridge

for that bridge pick Narrow Strat® Flatmount in the builder.

Use a 7/8 side jack hole.

What about electronics options such as volume and tone, wiring and output jacks etc.
Strap buttons or Strap locks.

Tuner hole dimensions - pick the correct ones for the tuners...

And if you are going to assemble an instrument it is well worth learning to do your own set up work.

I suggest contact Warmoth Sales who will help work through your options and order - they get paid to help you.

Finally welcome to the forum - check the thread linked in my signature as that has lots of other links that you will find useful etc...

stratamania said:
If you want a matching headstock you need to have a finish on the neck - also to get a match you would need a flame maple veneer to match the body.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-headstock-veneers
https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-finishes

The upcharges for that work will vary and you need to contact Warmoth Sales. If you do go for a finish I would recommend a satin finish for the neck with a matching gloss headstock if the body is gloss.

One thing to bear in mind is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a finish on a roasted maple neck but many prefer to not use a finish on roasted maple.

Modern or Vintage Modern Construction.

The Modern construction provides for a very stable neck - I have personally never had to remove one to make adjustments. If the side adjust is used correctly it works very well.

Vintage Modern - Headstock adjustment - of these constructions that I have I also like them and find them stable (this may vary depending on where people are).

Bridges

Which Gotoh Hardtail Bridge? There are several...

- advise - get a bridge and rout that go together don't create a headache for yourself.

Better to get a narrow spaced as vintage spaced will mean your E-e strings are closer to the edge of the fingerboard and most do not prefer that.

https://warmoth.com/index.php/hardware/guitar-bridges/fixed-bridges/flat-mount-bridges/narrow-spaced-strat-flat-mount-bridge

for that bridge pick Narrow Strat® Flatmount in the builder.

Use a 7/8 side jack hole.

What about electronics options such as volume and tone, wiring and output jacks etc.
Strap buttons or Strap locks.

Tuner hole dimensions - pick the correct ones for the tuners...

And if you are going to assemble an instrument it is well worth learning to do your own set up work.

I suggest contact Warmoth Sales who will help work through your options and order - they get paid to help you.

Finally welcome to the forum - check the thread linked in my signature as that has lots of other links that you will find useful etc...

Stratamania the Warmoth forums legend! Thank you for responding I've been creeping the forums a bit and always enjoyed your insight.

My goal is to have a super fast neck, like that of an Ibanez Wizard so I want to avoid having any finish which is why I'm leaning towards the roasted maple.
As for the matching headstock, I'll just message warmoth about it and ask them for further details thanks!

For the bridge, I was going to order
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/bridges-and-tailpieces/bridges-and-tailpieces-for-electric-guitar/non-trem-bridges/gotoh-hardtail-bridge
But this has screw holes - now that I look at the one you linked from warmoth themselves, that one... Doesn't seem to have screw holes? Much like the body. That's super interesting. Thanks for the suggestion on the the narrow I appreciate it, I definitely hate when my Es are on the edge of the neck.

Thanks for the sidejack hole, will do! I know the cable's 3/4" but I guess to make it work gotta have a little wiggle room.
I planned on getting all my electronics from stewmac - 500K pots with the 0.022uF cap.

Thank you so much again stratamania I appreciate you!

The 7/8" sidejack hole will give you the most versatility to fit a jack.

The bridge you linked to from Stewmac looks like the Gotoh GTC 101 which does not fit the Fender American Strat Flat Mount option.

https://g-gotoh.com/product/gtc101/?lang=en

However if you scroll to the bottom of https://warmoth.com/guitar-bridge-routs to Custom Bridge Routs you can get a Gotoh 101 which is probably a $45 upcharge. At least that was what Custom Bridge routs used to be quoted as on the older web site.

On the Wizard neck the Warmoth Satin finish feels similar to what you might find on an Ibanez. You would have to have a finish to get a matching headstock. I have one in satin with a gloss metallic matching headstock.

Anyway thanks for the feedback on me being a legend. You are in luck as in the coming weeks I will have far less time to provide detailed answers etc.

I found my Warmoth roasted maple neck too dry to the touch with no finish.  I eventually broke down and finished it with pure Tung oil (diluted with Naptha).  Feels great to the touch, not at all sticky like clear gloss finishes and it gave the look instant 'vintage'.  I highly recommend it!  Tons of how to videos on the web, but know there is a difference between pure Tung oil and the polymerized Tung oil finishes.

vetteman said:
I found my Warmoth roasted maple neck too dry to the touch with no finish.  I eventually broke down and finished it with pure Tung oil (diluted with Naptha).  Feels great to the touch, not at all sticky like clear gloss finishes and it gave the look instant 'vintage'.  I highly recommend it!  Tons of how to videos on the web, but know there is a difference between pure Tung oil and the polymerized Tung oil finishes.
Thanks for this! I'm probably going to end up with either a maple or mahogany neck then if I'm going to put a finish on it, I specifically wanted as natural a neck as possible that's why I wanted the roasted. But if you guys are saying the satin is good I'll consider it!

If you want a matching gloss headstock, a satin finish on maple for example for the neck is a great option and will be closest to natural feeling as possible in this situation.

Back