Favorite Passive Bass Pickups

shanejw

I'm thinking of building a bass and was wondering what you guys like as far as bass pickups go.  Passive only.  I will be getting an active EQ however.

FYI - 99% of the pickups on the market today are passive. outside of a few offerings from EMG, you will be hard pressed to find any active pickups

what I believe you are instead referring to is an active pre-amp in a bass ... and most any passive pickup plays nicely thru an active pre-amp

for the pickups, do you have a preference? 4-string, 5-string ... P-bass, J-bass, soapbars, etc ...? what's the sound you're shooting for and what are your budget constraints?

all the best,

R

I'm definately going for a 5 string.  I want something with a growly low end and a clear top end and sounds full across both.  As far as looks go I like the Music Man humbucker style pickups.

I love my Bartolini soapbars ( m34CBC) even when run in passive mode that have a beautiful tone.

I also have DiMarzio Stacks in my Jazz Fretless that are nice , just not as much sparkle as the Barts.

After using the pre-amp , I'm thinking of adding one to the J-Bass it really makes a huge difference.

shanejw said:
I'm definately going for a 5 string.  I want something with a growly low end and a clear top end and sounds full across both.  As far as looks go I like the Music Man humbucker style pickups.

I assume this will be a W Deluxe 5 body/neck build, yes?

if you have the $ to do so, I'd highly recommend either a Nordstrand MM5.2 or MM5.4 pickup, and wire it up so you have coil tapping capabilities. Choose the MM5.2 is you desire to have a true single-coil sound when tapping of one of the coils, or the MM5.4 if you have EMI issues and need a noise-free pickup even in tapped mode

all the best,

R

I'll have to check into these.  I have Bartolini pickups on my Soloist that I really love so that's an option as is the Norstrand with the silent coil tap mode.

+1 on Nordstrand! I just had my first gig with my new fiver. the Nordstrand MM5.2 blew me away!

Back