F-hole pickguard for the hybrid Strat

Fat Pete

Something like this:

StratHybridF.png

Plus chambered/f-hole options for the bodies.

I don't go into anaphylactic shock when I see pickguards like a lot of folks do, but I think this is a case where it doesn't really help. It's already a busy top. Control plate + f hole + ash tray. Actually I think the control plate is the biggest offender. It'd probably work ok with a thinline pickguard.

I thought you were going to be suggesting pickguards with F holes on them.  :tard:

That actually looks rather nice, but the problem is, how many Strat/Tele hybrids does Warmoth sell? I wouldn't think it would be common enough to warrant a new pickguard design to accompany body sales. Then again, manufacturing a pickguard is rather simple, and doesn't really require anything more than a master template. It would be nice to see it offered at the standard price, rather than having to spend $75-$100 on a custom pickguard elsewhere.

I like it...alot...unfortunately, my guess is we won't see this anytime soon, although there IS a specialized pickguard for the hybrid Tele, so maybe I'm wrong.

ihnpts said:
Er.... just eyeballing it, but I don't see why the current F-hole tele guard won't work exactly the same.  Or am I wrong?

You may well be right, but I suspect that it would need a little adjustment - mainly because of the bigger roundover radius on the Strat. The control plate cutout on the existing hybrid pickguard looks to be closer to the edge than on a Tele.

Additionally I would suspect that the square neck pocket cutout on the existing tele version would leave a gap between the strat neck and the pickguard. A 22 fret neck would probably cover it but you would know the gap was there.

I vote for this.  Would it be better to have the piece follow the lines of the lower horn?

stratamania said:
Additionally I would suspect that the square neck pocket cutout on the existing tele version would leave a gap between the strat neck and the pickguard. A 22 fret neck would probably cover it but you would know the gap was there.

I think the hybrid bodies have a Tele neck pocket as standard.
Eric S. said:
I vote for this.  Would it be better to have the piece follow the lines of the lower horn?

The lower horn 'reveal' is the main reason I suggested this; my liking for that feature is almost fetishistic since becoming obsessed with the idea of building my own thinline a few years back.

Ok, so I'm a bit weird...

I just checked the Hybrid strat does have a Tele neck pocket, so what I said above doesn't apply. It's the hybrid Tele that seems to have a Strat neck pocket. At least the ones I looked at in the showcase.

Since it's not a strat, nor a tele, but a hybrid, I think extending the cutaway fully is in order.
Ala post #57 by Glen Smith.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/411330-les-paul-tele-hybrid-shape-3.html

Or Better yet, post #33 by Porkadon.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/148706-tele-pickguards-coolest-most-unique-2.html

Back