Experimenting with Cerakote on hardware

SonoranST

I've done a few Cerakote jobs on guitar parts prior to this job, I did antique copper and bronze on the hardware for a Partscaster I recently built.  Last week I worked out a stencil for a Damascus pattern and have been testing it on on a number of different items.  Today I coated a couple of Telecaster parts, a Gotoh Modern Bridge and Fender Control Plate (the Neck Plate fell out due to the plating flaking during grit blast), all parts were originally chrome.  I think it's a pretty sharp look.

Attachments

• Tele 1.jpg
    Tele 1.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Tele 2.jpg
    Tele 2.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 284
Interesting. If it's good enough for guns, I gotta think it would outperform anything normally used on guitars.

I'm surprised it doesn't get used more often on guitar hardware.  You would think it would be an attractive option to get away from the typical silver/gold/black color options.

Many guitarists are notorious luddites. Plus, it's tough to get OEMs to spend .05cents more on production than they abolutely have to.

Those are factors cutting against using it.  I would have thought the custom market, although small in comparison, would have embraced it more than I've seen.

Those look dope!

i dont have anything else to add other then cerakote sounds like a movie wherein Michael Cera does peyote

Curious, are you open to performing the process on other people’s parts, say a Tele bridge?

TBurst Std said:
Curious, are you open to performing the process on other people’s parts, say a Tele bridge?

As a Certified Applicator I could be talked into it. :icon_thumright:

Seriously, let me know if you are interested.  My website and Instagram links are below:

www.sonoranst.com
www.instagram.com/sst_cerakote

SonoranST said:
As a Certified Applicator I could be talked into it. :icon_thumright:
Interesting, just saved your web address for future reference.  :icon_thumright:

Gotoh and Hipshot use coatings very similar to Cerakote. Hipshot will even sell you an unplated bridge. I did some burnt bronze pieces for a Kryptek camo'ed soloist I built.

I didn’t know that about Hipshot.  Usually, it’s no problem to coat the plated parts but you sometimes run into spots that were not cleaned right prior to plating and it blisters or flakes during grit blast.

Back