ewrvana tusq nut flexibility

johnnyj

hi guys,

just counting the days for my second warmoth build to arrive and i have one question in mind i like to get your input.

i am a heavy tremolo user and decided in my first build to use the earvana tusq nut together with a good bridge and locking tuners. the result was spectacular out of the box, i needed no nut filing for my usual 9-46 strings to have perfect tuning stability.

for the second build, i selected the nut again. but for this guitar i plan to have a drop setup (standard d) and would like to have thicker strings. i however would like to avoid a filing since i might go back to standard tuning with 9-46 in future.

did anybody of you experiment with thicker strings on a earvana tusq ootb nut without filing? do you think, a 10-49 or 10-50 setup would work without filing and keep the perfect tuning or are they calculated very precisely to a standard string set? and also interesting: do you think a filed nut to 10-50 would sound horrible with 9-46 or are the dimensions close enough to be fine?

thanks and best
johnny

oh and another question in the similar department: do i understand correctly that warmoth creates those tusq earvanas by themself out of a graphtech tusq blank? i was not able to find a tusq xl earvana in the web as a replacement part.

in case i would like to change this nut afterwards, what would be the options? would a fender lsr roller nut perfectly fit in the slot or would this require repositioning of the nut placement?

I know this is old but I think the reason you're not finding hits is that Earvana doesn't use the Tusq trademark in current literature. I don't recall if they once did, but as of July 2023 they do not.

If you just search for Earvana nut on ebay you'll find them a little cheaper than MSRP.

Back