EVH Wofgang neck?

calan

Has anyone fitted a Warmoth neck to an EVH (Fender) Wolfgang? I'm wondering how close the Wolfgang pocket is to a standard Fender pocket, and hard it would be to get a Warmy neck to bolt up

Yeah... I've seen that.

I picked up a Wolfgang standard online after playing some at the local GC. Really like the guitar, but not a big fan of the neck. I would rather build my own custom neck (wood, profile...maybe gibson conversion)...  if it's not completely whack getting one to bolt up.

I have tools and have been working with wood and hacking/modifying guitars for 40 years, so it wouldn't be impossible. But, I'd rather have as close a match and as little whittling as possible to begin with.

Since the existing neck probably wouldn't have any resale value anyway, would it be possible to just modify that one? Although, I suppose if you couldn't get happy you'd be right back where you started less one neck and no easy way to replace it.

Cagey said:
Since the existing neck probably wouldn't have any resale value anyway, would it be possible to just modify that one? Although, I suppose if you couldn't get happy you'd be right back where you started less one neck and no easy way to replace it.

The necks do seem online.  Lots of EVH nuts out there. :laughing3:
The issue is likely that it is VERY small feeling.  A 1 5/8 nut and VERY slim profile are probably the reason.  If you have larger hands, that may seem hard to play.  This mays it hard to modify.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. You can always make them smaller, but you can't make them larger. It's been a while since I picked one up and I couldn't remember what the neck was like. All I remember is being surprised that I almost threw the thing at the ceiling when I picked it up because they're super-light.

The other choice would be to just get used to it. The difference isn't that much, it just feels that way. But, if you did get used to it, then everything else would feel wrong.

One of my brothers is agonizing over buying one of the 2015 Gibsons for he same reason. Everyone seems to be blowing them out due to mass rejection of the neck dimensions and that new zero fret nut they're using. He's worried that the feel won't ever settle in for him without wrecking the feel of the rest of his collection.

Hey! - what's the scoop about the neck dimensions?  Larger? smaller?  different profile?  Depending on what they did I might actually find a Gibson to be playable!

I think they're slightly wider. It's enough that you can almost see it in pictures. My understanding is the string spacing is the same as it has been, but the fretboard is a tad wider. I don't know any actual numbers, but I imagine the Gibson site would have them.

Cagey said:

There are some necks for sale floating around, so I'm sure it has "some" value, for people needing a factory replacement. And I'd like to be able to bolt it back to factory(ish) form if I ever decided to sell it.

I just want to spec my own neck, so that it's exactly what I want. It isn't bad at all the way it comes...  I just like putting that little extra something on top.  :)

Here's a neck shot of the newer Gibson at the nut...

ZFAN_600.jpg

calan said:
I just want to spec my own neck, so that it's exactly what I want. It isn't bad at all the way it comes...  I just like putting that little extra something on top. 

I know what you mean. Once you get used to having it your way, every other way is just wrong  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
calan said:
I just want to spec my own neck, so that it's exactly what I want. It isn't bad at all the way it comes...  I just like putting that little extra something on top. 

I know what you mean. Once you get used to having it your way, every other way is just wrong  :laughing7:

And it's just my nature to immediately take apart anything I buy and figure out how I can (hopefully) improve it.

Being a naturally addicted tinkerer gets expensive sometimes... but I usually end up with something I like better.  :)

The 2015 Gibsons, that had the Robo Tuners necks were wider. I played some and found them too wide for me. But they also did towards the end of 2015 something called a 2015 Sprint run, normal locking tuners and the zero nut in normal widths.  One of them I tried was so nice I became the owner of a cherry burst, Les Paul, around Nov 2015 with some discount.

The adjustable nut was actually really useful for adjusting the action and so forth.

Cagey said:
Here's a neck shot of the newer Gibson at the nut...

ZFAN_600.jpg

That nut is a great idea.  Too bad it is close to 1 3/4 long.  It really feels different.  I do not like it all and do not think getting "used to it" is an option.  If you have not noticed the new Traditional line went back to a 1 11/16 Corian nut..

Shape of the back plays a role too.  My 1 5/8 Warmoth round back and standard thin still feel larger than the EVH Wolfgang.  However the Wolfgang to not too small for me for certain stuff.

And these Gibson necks will fit on the Wolfgang I asked about?  :)

I could live with that, if they would except an R2 nut.

No, no. Whole different animal. The Gibsons are set necks; you need a bolt-on.

Also, if you do get a replacement neck, you might want to consider an LSR nut and locking tuners instead of a locking nut. Accomplishes the same thing without the pain in the ass.

calan said:
And these Gibson necks will fit on the Wolfgang I asked about?  :)

I could live with that, if they would except an R2 nut.

Gibson necks are set necks (glued).  Sorry...we got a bit off topic.

Maybe some of the Peavey wolfgang necks would fit.  I am not sure on the exact pocket design.

Cagey said:
No, no. Whole different animal. The Gibsons are set necks; you need a bolt-on.

Also, if you do get a replacement neck, you might want to consider an LSR nut and locking tuners instead of a locking nut. Accomplishes the same thing without the pain in the ass.

Yeah... was being a bit facetious.  But, I wouldn't mind a 24-3/4 bolt-on conversion neck with the Wolfgang's smaller body. :)

I've actually thought about trying the roller nut on my next strat build. I always use locking tuners (usually Sperzel), and lately the Tusq nuts on bright sounding guitars....but have never tried the LSR.

They work really well. The only downsides to them are they're not drop-in replacements - they require a little bit of nut slot modification - and they only come in 1 11/16" widths. If you can live with both of those things, you're golden. One of those, some locking tuners, and just about any vibrato bridge with a two-point knife-edge fulcrum, and you've got a wide-ranging vibrato that'll stay in tune and doesn't require a mechanic's tool chest with an hour's time to change strings.

Cagey said:
One of those, some locking tuners, and just about any vibrato bridge with a two-point knife-edge fulcrum, and you've got a wide-ranging vibrato that'll stay in tune and doesn't require a mechanic's tool chest with an hour's time to change strings.

That's good to know. I played my first Floyd back in '85, then got spoiled to a Steinberger TransTrem in the early 90's and played it exclusively (for trems) for about 20 years. Now getting into a guitar with a Floyd again.  :)

I've thought a few times over the years about a Floyd with a more traditional, free nut and some locking tuners, but never tried it. Those 3 little clamps at the nut work great... but they are pure evil in a live setting when the lights are down and that allen wrench goes off to wherever the hell they go during gigs.  :D

Back