Esquire alike switch

NonsenseTele

Epic Member
Hello friends! I've come once more to ask wirings advice!

I'm building a guitar with a single humbucker on bridge, but thought about adding a On-On switch in which the 2nd position would be alike the Esquire 3rd position, but usable...

My idea is something alike the bridge, but a little bit sweeter, just in case I need a little more fatness.
I imagine that if I follow the wiring of the Esquire with a different value of the capacitor/resistor, it would work.
What do you say?

(I saw the Eldred mod and didn't like... It's a heavy metal guitar, so, no 50's LP tone)

Don't be too quick to dismiss the Eldred mod.  But even better, Google the 'modified Eldred mod'.  I built my Esquire with a DiMarzio Area T Hot bridge and the modified Eldred mod and find I don't really use the "normal" switch positions.  I just leave it on the mod position and that guitar is a snarling rock and roll beast!  Absolutely love it.  Best of luck with your build.

Attachments

• DSCN0129.JPG
    DSCN0129.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 69
I'd be tempted to stick in a blower position, where it bypasses both tone and volume control.

Some people seem to like the muffled version, but what the difference between simply rolling the tone down, I dunno.

https://youtu.be/lD2DbtBY5xU?t=240

I listened to some mods to the  esquire and didn't like any, they sound a bit strat-thin.
This one is a thrash metal guitar 😂

The point of the switch is: fast change to the exact same point always. The idea is kinda like the tone on 6 or 7...

FernandoEsteves said:
I listened to some mods to the  esquire and didn't like any, they sound a bit strat-thin.

The point of the switch is: fast change to the exact same point always. The idea is kinda like the tone on 6 or 7...

Is it really any faster to turn change the switch then turn the tone knob?

But in theory, it's as simple as a using the same cap value and using a fixed resistor to ground. Resistor value would depend on pot, log ratio, and you knowing if you prefer it on 6 or 7 or whatever. Other way is to use a trim pot instead of a resistor, then set and forget.

DuckBaloo said:
FernandoEsteves said:

Is it really any faster to turn change the switch then turn the tone knob?

But in theory, it's as simple as a using the same cap value and using a fixed resistor to ground. Resistor value would depend on pot, log ratio, and you knowing if you prefer it on 6 or 7 or whatever. Other way is to use a trim pot instead of a resistor, then set and forget.

Watch 7:08 how heavy metal change the switch. Yes, it's faster and more accurate, for what I need.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPMW-z6ViA[/youtube]

Back